Edge painting

Muddy

I have a customer who is doing a fairly impressive stationery package and wants to edge paint the Business Cards. How does one do this)

Detailed (ie- can't f*** it up) instructions would be most helpful

:)

Let me guess, black flood with reversed out text?

best bet, is grab a sharpe and hope there aren't too many.

We had one salesman once that told a designer we could do that. he ended up sitting with the sharpe for 2 days coloring the edges.

basically, tell your customer not possible. it's just not worth the headache.
though someone else may have a better idea.

White text, black paper?

ok, my turn to giggle!! LMAO
have you ever asked a pressman to print white?? I don't think it matters how much you scrub the rollers, it seems like it ALWAYS gets contaminated! :p

haha true, but black or coloured paper is more then likely a better option then felt marker.
Dont know details of job

Hey everybody. I do not bear most of experience in the industry but would imagine that black paper flooded with white ink or number of masked spots for BC and than regularly printed would work... If whole show is worth it.
As a back-up idea - I would try some superquick evaporating paint, like aerosol paint superfast set, squeeze set of cards really hard and spray the edges with few thin layers - it could be issue where they might stick together but whole idea is interesting to figure out.
Not when customer waiting but on not a busy day.

I've had the same request! I might experiment with some of these ideas, will let you know how it goes...

I have seen gold and silver "gilded" edges done and it looks really good, not really sure how to do it, but I would guess a weight, painted on adhesive and then gold leaf pressed on...

I had seen it a while back, I'm glad I was able to track it down again. Its really neat to see how things were done when printing was a craft and not a commodity.

I had seen it a while back, I'm glad I was able to track it down again. Its really neat to see how things were done when printing was a craft and not a commodity.

I'd still be fascinated to see how back in the 30's and 40's they mass produced full color National Geographic magazines.... for some reason that just fascinates me. With all our tech now it's hard to reproduce color, I can't imagine what it took back then!

I'd still be fascinated to see how back in the 30's and 40's they mass produced full color National Geographic magazines.... for some reason that just fascinates me. With all our tech now it's hard to reproduce color, I can't imagine what it took back then!

Well, it was printed with gravure which, in principle, hasn't really changed that much.

If you really want to be amazed...they were doing 8+ color process true continuous tone offset printing in the 1920s. No halftone screening at all. ( more info click here: Quality In Print: Continuous tone lithography - the Collotype process )

best, gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back