EFI Colorproof XF and showing dotgain in your proofs

dub

I just want to get some opinions on how to accurately show dot gain on proofs coming out of EFI colorproof XF.

Here is the current way I have set things up:
1. Create my Lin file.
2. Create my paper profile using Monaco default commercial printing settings for GCR etc.
3. Link them together
4. Use Swop profile in place of my press profile (have not profiled new press yet) for the Source Profile, no simulation relative colormetric
5. Do lab optimization to the Swop profile and add in the .3cc

From my understanding, the Lab optimization is basically moving my paper profile to that space (SWOP in this case) internally adding the appearance of dotgain (swop standards) for the final proof. I have compared my proofs to some Fuji Final Swop proofs that we get supplied to us from a client from a well known color house and they look pretty good to them.

Everything seems to be okay but I just wanted to see if this is the proper way to do things or if there is a better way.

thanks,
Dub

Re: EFI Colorproof XF and showing dotgain in your proofs

Hi Dub,

There's some understandable confusion here. Dot gain on an inkjet printer does not necessarily equate in a clear, usable way to dot gain on press. The inkjet dot gain measured after linearizing and ink limiting but before profiling can look quite different from typical TVI curves. Not to worry: So long as you did a decent job setting the ink limits and linearizing (pretty easy with XF), and the output profile is good, the end result, after profiling the printer, will look and measure as if it were printed on a press with the same dot gain, SIDs, and TIL as the press the reference profile was based on. The optimization simply tightens the match further. Feel free to contact me off list for further info on this.

Best regards,

Mike Strickler

Certified Installer and Trainer, EFI Colorproof XF

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back