EFI Colorproof XF unknown Error

mazengh

At college we are recently experiencing an error when we try to open the color manager module in EFI. I contacted EFI support, they want us to pay for a support plan to get help although I feel it's a bug in the software and I shouldn't be paying for that type of support. Well anyways, lesson learned and now I know how they think. So I am on here seeking help from anyone who has see such an Error. I have attached a screenshot.

Attachments

• ColorManagerError.JPG
    ColorManagerError.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 219
Some simple questions:

1. From whom did you purchase or acquire EFI XF? They should be your first line of support.
2. What version are you running?
3. Have you been professionally trained by a certified instructor, consultant or dealer?
4. Who did the installation?

Have you attempted to contact an EFI rep in the field?
That's your best bet. Please ping me offline and I can provide contact info.
(I ran sales at EFI for many years.)

1. From whom did you purchase or acquire EFI XF? They should be your first line of support.
it was purchased from a 3rd party... by a retired professor.

version 3.1

3. Have you been professionally trained by a certified instructor, consultant or dealer?
the retired professional was trained to run it. i have experience in color management, and i could run it if I read the manual and help files, but it's a matter of being able to open the software application.

same company who sold it...

OK, that helps.

1. You will not get support from EFI in Eagan, MN. You can debate your opinion vs. their policies all you want. 95% of all software vendors have similar policies. You bought nothing from them so they owe you nothing. Harsh, but true.

2. EFI XF 3.1 is extremely stable. Have you updated it at all? Is it 3.1.4....3.1.8? If you updated to version 3.1.7, as an example, yet did not load sequential patches, you will have problems.

3. Do you have any rapport with a local dealer at all? From whom do you buy your inkjet paper and supplies? They are a good resource.

However, if you bought a "used" copy of XF, use no-name brand of paper from the internet and have not been trained, then what exactly are your expectations?

I will restate that your best bet is to call one of the 2 EFI tech reps. One is in NY and the other in SF.

EFI Unknown Error

EFI Unknown Error

Hi,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are being a bit unreasonable, even as I understand your frustration. I don't know of many software companies who offer free tech support on older products, or any free support after 30 days. Not Adobe, not Quark, certainly not GMG or any other RIP vendor. Of the "Big Three"--GMG, CGS, and EFI, I believe only EFI does not require the purchase of a support contract with their software, so your comment about their mentality is simply wrongheaded. Your reseller is the first one who should step up and take care of you after complimentary EFI support ends. You need to work out with him what sort of help you will get, but don't expect him simply to give away his time. Your problem may have a simple answer or require an hour or more to solve. So help your reseller a bit. Buy a support contract from him, perhaps some proofing media. Remember, it is our knowledge that we use to put bread on the table, so it's only fair that we receive some consideration. That being said, do check out the free proofing forums at efi.com. There you can often find answers to thorny technical questions.

Best regards,

Mike Strickler
Certified Implementer
EFI Proofing Products
MSP Graphic Services: Prepress and Color Management

Mike, I totally agree with all you said. But if you look closely at the error you can tell this is a software bug... it feels like EFI's support should spend time to fix this and know why it occured so that a fix will be implemented in to their future release. Being a software developer i know that this kunknownerror message comes from an unhandled exception at the coding level when something wrong goes and the software doesn't know how to handle it. Which would make you think that it's something to be fixed.... not something just related to a customer needing support. Buggy software shouldn't ship in the first place, but nothing is perfect that's why EFI releases update fixes.

Last edited:
mazengh -

Please call EFI at 888.334.8650 and reference number WD-420247365. This will patch you through to support. Please have this information available before calling in:

1.Your dongle ID

2. FULL version of XF you are currently running (i.e-3.1, 3.1.4, 3.1.5, 3.1.6, 3.1.7, 3.1.8 +Fixes+PP).

Regards,
Derrick

Some simple questions:

Have you attempted to contact an EFI rep in the field?
That's your best bet. Please ping me offline and I can provide contact info.
(I ran sales at EFI for many years.)

We use the EF I4.1

Attachments

• 未命名.jpg
    未命名.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 235

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back