Engraved Name Plates

ReproElectroProspero

What kind of equipment is best suited for churning out high quality engraved nameplates like this?
1649376583547.png

This is something we're getting asked more and more to do, and we keep sending our customers away to another shop to do it.
A quick google shows a plethora of options - far too many options. I'm hoping there's a solution out there that won't break the bank, isn't too large, and doesn't have any air quality/venting issues.

I'm curious if anyone around here has experience in making these and can provide any insight into what solutions for this are best.

Thank you much for any info!

Desktop CNC router/engraver. Dozens on Amazon for $179+. Then you just need a supply of popular blanks.
Thanks. I know I can go that route - I was just hoping someone would be able to chime in with something like "Avoid _____ brand" or "I tried _____ machine and it worked well until the servo burned out and they wanted 2x the cost of the machine for a replacement".

Was hoping to learn from others :)

Thanks. I know I can go that route - I was just hoping someone would be able to chime in with something like "Avoid _____ brand" or "I tried _____ machine and it worked well until the servo burned out and they wanted 2x the cost of the machine for a replacement".

Was hoping to learn from others :)
Understood. Honestly there is a huge amount of video reviews on YouTube covering build quality, software, etc. You don't need a rugged machine built for 3D carving. Many of the cheapest units have perfectly fine motors. Where they lack is in the framework. Too much flex if you are trying to do any precision 3D carving or machining. Perfectly fine for plastic engraving. You just don't want any slop. I used to do this many years ago. I used the Hermes Engravograph pantograph style engravers. I've seen some computer driven engravers that aren't any better than those on Amazon, but sell for 5 times the price. If you want to do real metal in addition to plastic you will spend about $750. Plastic only you can get a good tight machine for about $400. We only did the brushed metal finish plastics. Seems like every six months there is a new and improved version coming out for about the same price, so it's a moving target.

Understood. Honestly there is a huge amount of video reviews on YouTube covering build quality, software, etc. You don't need a rugged machine built for 3D carving. Many of the cheapest units have perfectly fine motors. Where they lack is in the framework. Too much flex if you are trying to do any precision 3D carving or machining. Perfectly fine for plastic engraving. You just don't want any slop. I used to do this many years ago. I used the Hermes Engravograph pantograph style engravers. I've seen some computer driven engravers that aren't any better than those on Amazon, but sell for 5 times the price. If you want to do real metal in addition to plastic you will spend about $750. Plastic only you can get a good tight machine for about $400. We only did the brushed metal finish plastics. Seems like every six months there is a new and improved version coming out for about the same price, so it's a moving target.
Thank you for the input! I definitely want to be able to offer metal, the CEO level positions would love that. They definitely think that they're above the rinky-dink paper nameplates the rest of the people in our association get. I guess I'll spend some time on youtube learning about engraver reviews. Thanks again.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back