Epson 7900 vs Cannon 6350

Sev

We are looking at new contract proofing systems. Currently we are running an Epson 7600 with a Kodak Matchprint color RIP, version 2.6, which is getting quite old. We have been looking at the Epson 7900 with either a EFI RIP, or Kodak's new proofing system, and looking at a Cannon 6350 with an EFI RIP.
Is Cannon considered a good proofing device for contract proofs? Or is Epson considered as a better choice for accurate contracts proofs? The owner is leaning toward Cannon, and prepress is leaning toward Epson.
Any advice on this would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!

-Sev

go for the epson

go for the epson

I advise you to go with the epson.... I have the Z6100 at my press house. It's great and all; I've had it for 3 years now. Since I bought it I've been noticing that most print/proofing software support epsons more than any other plotter....

Last edited:
Hi Sev,
I have experience with both machines and both of them are good. My experiences are with CGS Color Tuner running both printers, so other rips might operate the devices little different. The good thing about Color Tuner is the fact that it uses original canon and epson drivers which helps alot with the speed and quality.

Epson definately is good choice because of its internal measuring device, although it is an option and not a cheap one as such. So the color management is possible to be done automatically (depending on the rip).

The canon on the other hand is considerably cheaper and it does have internal calibration as well, but it only supports internal linearization and does not give any data to the rip. BUT if you calibrate the device internally first and then do the rip calibration/color match, then when ever you think or measure that the system is out of tolerances it takes about 5 minutes to use the internal calibration to get the system back within the specs (at least according to my experience with several canon systems).

The epson has more gamut on the green and orange area, where as the canon has better blue and red gamut.

Both are great devices and you wont wrong with either one.

I agree, both are solid units and both have pro's and cons. At the end of the day i think you will be fine with either of them. Both get very good reviews by independet reviewers.

I forgot to mention that if you are in bussiness to print several copies of say posters then canon with it's hdd comes in very handy.
You can use net browser to log on to the canon and do reprints with out re ripping or re sending of the data.

Epson ver Canon

Epson ver Canon

I was working with both and if it was me I would pick a Canon. 7900 is nice, no doubt and if you add SpectroProofer you have a turnkey solution that you can calibrate automatically with some rips at night. But Spectroproofer only scans 17" wide charts no more even on 44" printer also it cannot be used with a different printer you might have or buy in the feature. It will not work with Sheet papers like Poster Boards etc. Canon is faster than 7900. It does not have onboard spectro but you can buy Isis (patch sizes az small as 6mm x 6mm) or i1 iO table if you have really thick media. Canon with Isis is faster to profile and linearize than Epson with SpectroProofer. Canons had bad reputation for not being consistent but it was was long time ago. Now all major rips (in alphabetical order: cgs, efi, gmg) support it. If they are supported that means that Canons are as good as Epsons.

Epsons are more popular in USA but Canons are very popular in Europe and as Johu said they are faster and cheaper. How much is 7900 with SpectroProofer (cannot be used with any other printer) versus Canon 6350 and Isis (can be used to profile anything you have)?

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back