Epson 9900 banding issue

Jodyphoto

Hi Guys

i have an Epson 9900 that i bought recently and i am getting a strange banding issue on the leading edge of every print. it only appears at the very start and nowhere else in the image
Printer001.jpg

I have tried several cleaning settings on the printer to no avail. changed several cartridges again to no avail

anyone any ideas or suggestions?

Jody

Interesting..

I've seen the same thing on our Epson 9900 a while ago. I've also seen similar problems on a Epson 4900 on light matte coated stock.

Are you able to control the suction? Maybe increased suction will fix the problem?
Or maybe it's a humidity problem? He you tried to forward some paper and cut it off before starting the print?

Just guessing here..

Best regards,

Hi Magnus

thanks for your reply.

yes it is possible to increase the suction as it is only half way up. i will give that a try and let you know

Jody

Interesting..

I've seen the same thing on our Epson 9900 a while ago. I've also seen similar problems on a Epson 4900 on light matte coated stock.

Are you able to control the suction? Maybe increased suction will fix the problem?
Or maybe it's a humidity problem? He you tried to forward some paper and cut it off before starting the print?

Just guessing here..

Best regards,

In looking at the image, it looks like only some of the color is missing. Have you tried running a nozzle check? Total shot in the dark but perhaps one or more ink lines aren't maintaining proper vacuum at all times and thus creating a gap in ink supply to the print heads? This may also be the result of a misaligned or otherwise malfunctioning pump cap assembly.

any print is giving the same effect wether its B&W or color and always at the beginning of the print so would it not be through the complete image if it was a vacuum problem? the rest of the print is perfect

Chances are this is due to clogging nozzles. Get a humidity gauge and make sure you are within operating parameters. Given that it is winter you probably have low humidity which allows the ink to dry on the nozzles causing clogs.

I had some weird stuff happen with mine and after a whole bunch of ideas and back and forth, the fix ended up being reinstalling the drivers and software. I'm not sure how or why but the drivers and software became corrupt and would mirror and step and repeat when I printed. I know thats not what you are seeing, but it is another avenue to look into. Also check your firmware.

It seems like you have small banding all around judging by the image. That of course would point to nozzles. Allthough I have to say that the big banding looks softedged which is not something that glogged nozzles would cause. There is a setting in the x900 series which controls the front margin. You could try and set that to a higher setting in order to let the printer feed a bit blank paper before the image starts. If the problem is caused by paper not behaving well in the front edge this could be a solution as well.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back