Epson nozzle check

Ed_

Hi
On my 7880 an automated nozzle check may reveal a few dropouts,
however after several auto cleaning attempts the checks can actually get worse.
A power clean can increase the problem.
There are occassions that it is not even the same nozzle that shows problems
What can I do
Does anyone have a repair guide for the 7880
Thanks

I don't know about the 7880 but I occasionally (2-3 times a year) run into a similar situation with my 9800 where the whole automated nozzle check/nozzle clean/nozzle check loop will go on for several minutes and ending with a cleaning error. Usually, restarting the printer and starting over again will result with clean nozzle after 1-2 cycles.

Upgrading your printers firmware might be the solution to your problem. In my case it was, I had a simular problem with a 9900.

I had a similar problem with my 10600. The cyan and black were printing poorly so I did several cleaning cycles and nothing improved. I then did a deep cleaning then the cyan and black got worse. They essentially disappeared. This was the second time in about two years that this happened. Last time an Epson tech came out and replaced some parts and cost us about $1000!

Before I made the phone call to get someone out, we tried using the drainage cartridge and running that procedure. Our printer allows us to run two blacks, photo black and matte black. To change between blacks, you need to run the draining procedure. Even though we only run photo black, I ran the procedure anyway, printed a nozzle check and both the black ink and cyan were printing close to flawless. I ran a couple of cleanings after and we were back up. I'm not sure if you have the draining cartridge but if you do, give it a whirl.

I wonder if this would have fixed my problem the last time I spent $1000 to have a tech fix it.

Good day folks.
As a technician getting into the repair and servicing of epsons I can say that a lot of problems I have
encountered is firmware. I am not factory certified but since most of my customers have epsons I have been drawn into supporting there needs. I have embraced the Epson line because Epson has put time limits on the major components and when those parts need replacing. In my experience Epson is pretty close on there estimation. If you try to push the printer you start wasting ink, material, and most costliest of all, your time. I never like to call an Epson as a necessary evil but without it we would be running blind in our manufacturing process. 1000 for the mantainence procedure is not bad
If they replaced the pump, cap, blades, and misc filters. That was actually cheap. That would normally cost about 1200 to 1600. Remeber you get what you pay for. Especiay on the Epson.

Raymond Ramirez

clean it

clean it

I have a 9800 and this happens every once and a while. I just go in and clean around the head capping station and the head wiper. I press and hold the cutting blade change button to move the carriage over the center and then go to town on the cleaning. Grab some of those foam cleaning swabs and clean up as much of the goop you can. I have even used some denatured alcohol to help break it up and it has not failed me yet. Don't leave your heads over in the center for too long they can dry up and cause even more problems.

Good luck with that.

-mike

If the problem seems to move around or get worse, look for droplets of ink on the paper too. This could mean that there is a clump of dust riding on the print head or on the wiper blade. If you have been using this printer for two or three years on a daily basis (8 or more hours a day) you may be due for a printhead replacement. You can struggle on or call a service tech.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back