Estimating Software

PrintMaster

We are a mid sized company with 40-60 workers , all offset presses with full bindery. I've been browsing around doing some research on estimation tools to help with the company on automation, consistancies, easy to use and most important a very smart software (that can tell me which presses to use). Now I dont need a full MIS but just the estimation tool or the module out of that software, any recommendations?

1) I've looked at HIFlex great estimation and seems easy to use from the demo, however need a full purchase of the MIS.
2) Schedule a demo with Avanti and will soon have a look at what they offer on their estimation modules
3) EFI Printsmith - got a demo coming up of the software

Wanted to know what your thoughts and recommendations of anything else great that i maybe missing.

Don't forget to calculate YOUR cost standards (Hourly Rates) before using any supplier's estimating program.

We are a mid sized company with 40-60 workers , all offset presses with full bindery. I've been browsing around doing some research on estimation tools to help with the company on automation, consistancies, easy to use and most important a very smart software (that can tell me which presses to use). Now I dont need a full MIS but just the estimation tool or the module out of that software, any recommendations?

1) I've looked at HIFlex great estimation and seems easy to use from the demo, however need a full purchase of the MIS.
2) Schedule a demo with Avanti and will soon have a look at what they offer on their estimation modules

Wanted to know what your thoughts and recommendations of anything else great that i maybe missing.

I work for SmartSoft - we offer PressWise.

We have an Estimating 'module', but definitely characterize our solution as an MIS system, so I would need to better understand why you only want estimating. Cost ? We have customers with only 10 employees. Some printers like everything tied together, but perhaps you have several things you really love and don't wish to replace. Would be happy to talk with you if only to better understand what problems you are trying to solve.

w: Presswise - Home

e: [email protected]

p: 888.227.7221

As a sales consultant for Accura Print MIS, I would suggest that you check out Accura at the following link:

Accura Print Estimating - Order Processing - Job Costing - Scheduling - Stock Control - CRM - Shop Floor Data Collection - The Print MIS System of Choice: <http://www.accuramis.com/>

I agree that it would be good to know more about your business, what you are presently using, and have a better understanding of your pain. With Accura, you can easily handle the estimating for your offset litho and full bindery manufacturing capabilities. Accura will also grow with your business if you choose to add digital, wide format, and more. The software is modular, scalable, and upgradable, which means that it can be customized to the specific needs of your business model. And, it makes sense!

Regards,

Jordan Melick
Sales Consultant
Accura MIS
(303) 799-1128 (Office & Cell)

Last edited:
Look at Morning Flight

Look at Morning Flight

Look into Morning Flight by PrintFire.

Its a solid program, and realllly hard to beat for the price. I have had several questions and have been directly answered by the guy that came up with the program. From my experience this is a program made by actual printers. And NO I am not a rep, NO I do not get a kick back. I'm just an average user. Good luck and like another post said make sure you come up with all of your pricing before you go with anyone.

I wonder if you're looking for a full estimating system or something a little different. Metrix doesn't create an estimate, but does take your project specs and intelligently considers multiple possible solutions and creats a fantastic job plan, based on your press specs & costs, plate costs, makeready & stock costs. Like I said it's not an estimating tool, but might provide much of what you're looking for without the expense and headaches involved with implementing an MIS. Further, Metrix thinks deeper and is more in-tune with many manufacturing details than most Estimating tools.

Check out our website and watch the 1 and 10 minute movies for a good overview of what I'm suggesting. If it appears it may satisfy some of the need you have, I'd be happy to help.

Estimating Systems - BrightBlue

Estimating Systems - BrightBlue

I strongly suggest you look at The "BrightBlue" Estimating System - It operates on everything from a Desktop computer to an App on an iPad. Anyone who knows what they want can produce a quote in minutes and have the quote letter emailed to your client if required - It will produce full and detailed production information and intergrate with the production Job Ticket or Production Instructions - It works by looking at all of the equipment in your plant (which are configured in BrightBlue) and calculates all possible ways of producing the work, then showing the price based on the most economical method - All within a few minutes. It is an English system designed, built and maintained by some very clever people.

I am a user of this system and can highly recommend it.

The reason i've been searching for estimating because i want to hire and start getting some help with the estimation. I wanted a intuitive system where a customer rep can plug in their own specs of the job , a program that is intuitive enough to find out best scenario (press / sheet size / work and turn / sheet work / etc) and by than choosing the best scenario would give me the best price to follow. When all said and done, a quick job ticket of how it was laid out, how much paper it was estimated on so the prepress can follow suit. Now my ultimate long term goal is a full MIS system but Estimation side has to be down pat to a point it can pull numbers out fairly close to what i've quoting it as and only than i would feel confident to be able to explore further. Some softwares can work to your specifications and some you have to go with what they give you, this is the hard part for me too.

Quick books integration is huge i think or a benefit! So am i asking too much or dreaming?

I've seen HiFlex and Avanti so far and Avanti seems fairly promising at a starting core system, which is very affordable with the ability to expand further. If all is good but i will look more indepth into it by testing more of the "trickier" quotes to see how intuitive it is in determining the best setting.

I'm up for any suggestions if fits the criterias!

Download the free version of Morning Flight, see how simple the software is, and how much sense it actually makes when generating an estimate. Hal, the developer was a printer before he developed this, that's why it is as simple and logical to use. If you like the free version (which is a fully functional program, not just a trial program) then purchase Morning Flight Gold that includes job ticketing, job tracking, invoicing as well as other useful tools.

Quick books integration is being worked on, I think in the next update.

Estimation is only one [important] part of what an MIS system offers. The benefits of having an integrated system where the "estimating" module can communicate with the "CRM" module and the "production" and the "stock control" module and the "purchasing" module etc. are huge (all modules cross talking with each other). Even better if the MIS system can bi-directionally communicate in real time with it's web portal (no need for double handling of data or for I.T staff).

We often replace a stand alone estimating or web based estimating system with a MIS system, as the stand alone system is not compatible with and does not talk to any other software (or it is too expensive to hire custom programming to make it work further/deeper throughout the company). I would strongly recommend that people look beyond only estimating and think about software that can handle many parts of the business of manufacturing print. With the right choice of a modular expandable MIS, one can grow into "advanced" features beyond estimating - while having the benefits of more than estimating from day one.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Printmaster

Printmaster

Finding your right MIS system is the first step, but detailed knowledge of your equipment specifications, production standards (achievable running speeds and setup times), folding impositions, true costs both direct and indirect as well as material costs and the data you want reported on, are all crtitcal in setting your system up to ensure you are both competitive and profitable. This cost information must be based on your own costs and equipment and not someone else's - Be careful as some of the "advice" you are getting seems to be coming from sales people. I feel you may need to widen your research perhaps to a printing business association or even direct contact with other printing companies of good reputation, as to what systems they are using and can recommend, as there are MANY available. You will be surprised at how helpful other printers can be - BrightBlue will intergrate with some MIS Systems, but certainly not all - Best wishes, you have a lot of work to do.

Apart from cost factor consider few other points like reputation of the company and refrences.

Last edited by a moderator:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back