Expanded/Extended gamut proofing.

FlexoGrunt

Hello,
I'm looking for any help on a 30" proofing device that can produce accurate EGC proofs using EQUINOX (for printing flexible packaging). Has anyone been producing these proofs and if so what are you using?

The Roland VersaCamm is intriguing to me as it can print on clear and has the ability to use silver.

Thanks.

What device(s) are you currently using? What RIP software are you using to drive proofing?

The Epson 7900/9900 is probably your best bet. It's gamut is huge (the biggest out there?) with 10 (11 if you count matte black) chromatic ink channels. You're also going to need a RIP that can drive it to that potential.

The Roland Versacamm VSi with metallic and/or white takes the place of chromatic ink channels reducing gamut. I'm also pretty sure the only RIP that can drive it to its full potential is CGS-ORIS ColorTuner.

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm looking for any help on a 30" proofing device that can produce accurate EGC proofs using EQUINOX (for printing flexible packaging). Has anyone been producing these proofs and if so what are you using?

The Roland VersaCamm is intriguing to me as it can print on clear and has the ability to use silver.

Thanks.

I’ll comment in greater depth a little later, however can you list your current hardware and software? What proofer do you currently have? What software in addition to Esko Equinox? Esko FlexProof? Esko Color Engine? A different vendor proofing solution? What EG inks are you running?

What substrates would you like to proof on? Is this more for mockups than proofing or both? Is it only silver/gold or also white that is of interest?

Stephen Marsh

We have aging equipment that needs to be replaced asap and our company is taking a serious look at ECG so I was hoping futureproof as any purchases that prepress needs are scrutinized.

Substrates: Clear film and metalized film. Gloss lam and matte lam (done in line).
Hardware/Software: ESKO color engine, Equinox, and I'm guessing a rip to drive the printer (ESKO or ???)
Press: Undecided. 24-30" servo with UV inks for film.
Inks: undecided.

In an ideal world it'd be great to find one beast to satisfy both worlds (proofing and mockups for flexible packaging).

Well.... the bad news is that there is not a one size fits all solution for you. I'm more or less in the same boat but not for flexibles. You're likely going to need multiple proofing solutions to pull this off.

• If you want ability proof metallic inks you're going to need a device capable of that (Roland Versacamm VSi).*
  • If you want ability proof white inks you're going to need a device capable of that (Roland Versacamm VSi, Epson WT).*
  • If you want a proofer that simulates/a a full expanded gamut you're going to need a device capable of that (Roland Versacamm VSi, Epson).
  • If you want a proofer that simulates UV coatings you're going to need a device capable of that (Roland Versacamm LEC).

You're also going to need a RIP - EFI Colorproof (now merged with Fiery?)^, CGS-ORIS ColorTuner, GMG Colorproof (is this now running a different GUI on the EFI platform?) and a server for said RIP to operate upon.

^EFI Colorproof is licensed out to various vendors including Heidleberg, Esko, etc. They slap their own customizations and GUI on it but the core of the software comes from EFI.

*You can configure a Versacamm VSi with both metallic and white but you'll be limited on density.

I'm holding on to my Fujifilm FinalProof until they stop making film for it (I've been told ~2 years from now).

As chevalier notes, many are keeping their existing Kodak Approval or Fuji FinalProofs etc.

What is your budget for the capital equipment? Some ballpark pricing of some key items:

Roland VS-i Eco-Solvent Print/Cut: AUD $20-30K approx. (colour, white, silver – no “varnish”, possible wide gamut abilities when using the special CGS ORIS Flex Pack Solution of software, inks etc)

Extended Heater Unit for Roland: AUD $2K approx.

X-Rite i1pro2/i1iO table combo: AUD $4.5K approx.

Roland VersaUV LEC-540 LED UV Print/Cut: AUD $55K approx. (colour, white, varnish – no metallics, use a metallic substrate instead, not wide gamut)

CGS ORIS Flex Pack Web RIP: AUD $12K+ approx.

Suitable Laminator for ORIS transfer media: AUD $8K approx.

Then there are consumable costs, ink and media. CGS offer a range of eco-solvent proofing media for the Flex Pack solution as well as their own expanded gamut formulation inks for the VS-i printer, which need to be driven via the ORIS Flex Pack RIP.

The speed is not that great, however packaging prototypes/proofing is not usually facing the same demands as say commercial printing.

Now the above does not even take into account the business of being able to create a realistic extended gamut proof.

Stephen Marsh

Hi All,

I am Product Manager for Equinox and proofing at Esko and would like to share the perspective from our side.

Most Equinox customers use the Esko FlexProof software for color accurate proofing. As mentioned above, this is based on an EFI driver but it includes Esko color management, giving it the advantage that it works with the same data and algorithms that are used for the Equinox expanded gamut conversion. That said, it needs a proofer with a suitable gamut: the Epson x900 series is the popular choice . Customers I know see mockups as a different requirement output to a different device.

Hope this helps. Your Esko rep can provide you with more information as needed.

David

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back