Experience with Konica Minolta PB 503 perfect binding unit?

I'm backing up what @jwheeler mentioned about the paper loading procedure. Taking an extra minute or two to get the tray side-guides adjusted properly can really improve how smooth of a run you have. Just to add to this:
  • Don't load the tray full of paper and try to adjust the guides - you can't effectively adjust the side-guides if there's a heavy brick of paper to try and nudge.
  • I typically use more than just a couple sheets to do this (maybe a 1/2" stack), but the effect is the same.
  • As a 'manual' check after I lock the side-guides, I'll grab the top sheet and slide it back-and-forth to ensure it can easily move. If I can move it without any resistance - so can the press.
  • You'll likely notice once you get the side-guides adjusted properly, that when you drop the tray back to the loading position the side-guides may look too far from the paper. Don't worry about this.
  • This doesn't pertain to the perfect binder, but If you're using the LCT or LCT banner tray - setting the side guides is a bit more difficult as there's no way to lock the tray at the top of travel (feed position), so you can only load some paper and eyeball it. As an example: I have the LCT banner tray and there are 6 lock knobs for four side guides. It just takes a little more time to carefully dial their positions in for a smooth run. I've found using the ruler guides really do help in this case (I never use them for the standard PFT's).
I agree that the PB-503 likely needs a service call.

I agree with @jwheeler regarding setting the tray side-guides. Setting them appropriately can really make a job run so much smoother. I typically use about a 1/2" stack of paper to do it, but the principal is the same. I also check the top sheet by sliding it back and forth once I have the side guides locked in place. If there's no resistance, then I know the press can pull it through just fine.

While I think about it (and I know this doesn't officially relate to this issue, but it's good info), another thing to check if you're having a jamming issue is for dings/dents on the lead edge of the paper. At least on the Konica presses there are five 'fingers' on the exit-side of the fuser that help guide the paper - you have to drop the fuser door to see them, and they move easily with a light touch. Toner can accumulate on these after a while and will catch the lead-edge of the paper as its exiting the fuser. I just use my fingernail to knock these off until they feel smooth, and I try to check for it every couple weeks when I happen to pull out the ADU drawer.

I agree that the perfect binder likely needs a service call to fix the jogging issue.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back