Explaining Paper pricing? /M?

ScotJ

Sorry if this is a really rookie question, but I just got pricing from a local supplier, and the pricing reads:

Stock Size Basis 1ctn Price/M
70lb 12 x18 32m 500 28.16

I'm confused as to what this means?

Does it mean each carton is 32m, and the price per M is as stated? Or something else?

Scot, paper is priced by both the case quantity and sheet quantity to make it easier to compare apples to apples...
The quote reads - Stock 70lb, size = 12 x 18 This paper weights 32lbs per thousand sheets, the paper is packed 500 sheets per carton with a carton price of 14.08 or cost 28.16 per thousand sheets of this paper. You should always know the price per thousand sheets to compare paper pricing. This is because different paper mills pack there cartons with different number of sheets for the same type and size of paper. Paper manufactures oftenhave complete paper info on thier websites.Hope I didn't confuse you more.

Mical

Stock Size Basis 1ctn Price/M
70lb 12 x18 32m 500 28.16

Scot, Mical is right on the money - Price/M does stand for Price/1,000 sheets. If you're wondering where the M came from, the Latin word mille means thousand.

Be careful, though, when working up quotes. Had the description from your vendor read Price/cwt, the price would have been for 100 lbs, regardless of size, basis weight (the 70lb part), or type of paper. Hundred pounds is a hundred pounds. But depending on the size and basis weight, that can make a huge difference in the quoted price.

For what it's worth, don't be shy about asking rookie questions. I don't think anyone on PrintPlanet would flame you for it. Not to mention that there are fewer stupid questions in this world than there are dumb answers.

Hal Heindel

Attachments

• PrintPlanet_1.jpg
    PrintPlanet_1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 333
  • PrintPlanet_2.jpg
    PrintPlanet_2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I should have know, M usually stands for Mille, which is latin for thousand. I guess I thought it couldn't have been that easy.

Had the description from your vendor read Price/cwt, the price would have been for 100 lbs, regardless of size, basis weight (the 70lb part), or type of paper.

The last part of this is a bit misleading. The reality is that different types of paper will have different cwt prices. I have been in the biz since long before there was an internet to post these questions, and have yet to see a cwt price that would apply to all types of paper.

Al

The last part of this is a bit misleading. The reality is that different types of paper will have different cwt prices.

You're right, Al, including the type designation could be confusing. I'll readily admit that Classic Laid Writing or Strathmore Writing will always command a higher cwt price than Bathroom Bond, being of different quality, despite the fact that all three are Writing papers.

So let me redefine what I said earlier: 100 pounds of Classic Laid Writing of the same color and priced by hundred weight will generally cost the same, from the same vendor, no matter what the basis weight and sheet size. Does that get closer to it? I would hate to think I've been doing it all wrong in my 37 years of owning a printing business. Yup, I'm a dinosaur, too.

Hal Heindel
Unitac - Who we are

Yes that does take care of it, and here is why:

1. from the 1st post: "regardless of size, basis weight (the 70lb part), or type of paper."

2. from the 2nd post: "no matter what the basis weight and sheet size."

The 1st post, inappropriately applied the unit of amount to the type of paper, which is independent of amount. The 2nd post corrects this.

What is important is that the particular phrasing should not muddle up the concepts involved.

Thanks for your positive response.

Al

What is important is that the particular phrasing should not muddle up the concepts involved.

Agreed, Al. Compared to ISO and gsm units of measurement, our basis weights and lbs and points are confusing enough. No need to make them even less transparent.

Hal

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back