Feedback on JetLetter PSL?

pcmodem

Registered Users
I would like to hear peoples feedback on what they think of JetLetter PSL. I know "Digital Press Guy" works for them and would like to hear from others.

Are there any other alternatives for Trans-promo VDP software which is not specific to one vendors hardware, like the way VIPP is from Xerox?

I know there is the Fusion Pro, XMPie, Design Merge, etc. applications out there. From what I have seen, these don't have the processing speed or power of VIPP or JetLetter PSL.

Jetletter PSL has power and speed in spades. I've used it for 3 years.

Even the most complex transactional statement projects can render in under 1 minute- most in just seconds.

The power has to do with the ability to create my own functions/methods and store them libraries for calling from other projects. Why re-invent the wheel every time i want to go for drive? It also has to do with the ability to read virtually any data file type including OCDM (sp?) such as MS Access tables. In addition to the PDF output, I can generate output reports to my design (transactional statistics for your client's peace of mind) as well as data files of all the usual type.

Consider that I once took a jpg image that had 3 pre-printed text lines, each on a slightly different arc and none of them on a white background - it was textured color. The client wanted my to "erase" the generic text lines from the JPG and insert variable text lines in their place. As you can imagine, the background was an issue, but with only the tools available form PSL I was able to accomplish this task and it looked very impressive. Of course the client had no idea how big a miracle I'd just performed!

Ron

I have used Jetletter PSL for two years and am pleased with the capabilities. We were able to program a very complicated daily job that could not have been done easily in another application. The processing speed is fast, and the pdf output is often required by our clients. There is a great level of flexibility in what you can do and overall it is a very powerful program for VDP.

Amy

My PSL Experience

My PSL Experience

Last year we secured a contract to print and provide PDF copies of tax statements. We tried this in Fusion Pro first and found that the processing time (5+ hours) to run and generate a single 190K page PDF with more than 30 fields of variable data on each page was too long. In less than the time it took for Fusion Pro to complete the job I rewrote and tested it in PSL. The PSL run time was around 20 minutes (later I discovered my AV was running at the same time so I can only assume the job could have run faster). I could not find another product in the price range that would create a single PDF with 190K pages in this time frame.

The PSL solution did not require us to purchase a server (which we did for the Fusion Pro solution) or multiple licenses (vendor recommended for Fusion Pro solution) in order to get the speed and power required for the tax job mentioned above.

PSL is not a plug in and can create, build a document from scratch. We use PDFs of letterhead or designer cards fro some jobs; for others we use the graphics and fonts to create the documents from a blank sheet. The output can be directed to PDF but I've also output PPML files and Postscript. Our printers include Xerox Nuvera/DocuColor 5000, and HP 9500/9000. Our customers are very happy with the PDF generated output for preprint proofs.

Since PSL is a programming language it can be used for developing a variety of solutions for example manipulating the data in a preformatted text file to print text data in specific locations on a preprinted page. Or, creating and submitting customized emails or generating custom webpages.

The vendor has released a Wizard which provides a GUI interface for folks that would like one and I've seen a new Word-like functionality in a demo. Finally, the vendor support is outstanding.

I think you can get a version of PSL for evaluation (check their website). Take it for a spin!

We were able to program a very complicated daily job that could not have been done easily in another application.
Amy

I'm not familiar with this product, and maybe I should be. I'm just curious, as I've used quite a few of the VDP apps out there, both plugin based and standalone. What was it that JetLetter did so easily?

I find it very interesting that the people who have responded to questions about JetLetter PSL have very few posts and the posts they have responded to only seem to be about JetLetter. Almost makes me think the posts are coming from different employees from JetLetter.

I don't work for JetLetter in any capacity, I currently use PlanetPress and PrintshopMail. I also have some experience with a variety of Indesign plugins, and I run a lot of daily/weekly work. I was asking because I'm always interested in anything that makes my life easier or adds capabilities. I have no other "interests"....

I'm not a JetLetter employee but I do like their products which I've used for almost ten years. I use the forums for research and provide feedback when I can and when it's relevant. Therefore, I don't post a lot because frankly I'm paid to deliver VDP solutions not post in forums.

I don't have the breadth of knowledge of or experience with various products which is why I appreciate your postings as part of my learning. I am, as presented, curious. And being curious have you, pcmodem, taken PSL for a test drive? I'm really interested in your comments after using the product.

jetletter

jetletter

pcmodem
I have used jetletter products since the 4.7pcl version. They are excellent and far more powerful than your mainstream versions e.g. fusion pro, xmpie, printshopmail. But then again that may be just my personal preference. I prefer speed and flexibility over bloated interface. In addition, you will not find better 1 to 1 tech support.

Give their product a try. Talk to Tom and schedule a webinar.

Have ordered a demo

Have ordered a demo

Our company has used JetLetter products for 12 years.(Still using 6.0 for our intensive black and white data projects. I can vouch for the company...superb, powerful product and great support.

Currently using XMPIE and Darwin now. Looking for upgrade options since our variable data is going through the roof and the output/compiling times are killing us.

I'll be doing a webinar once Tom gets back from vacation and going to take the demo for a test drive.

Keep you informed.

Kev

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back