File/Folders copy rather than move using 10.6.6

tbowat

We have recently upgraded to 27" iMacs using 10.6.6. I have noticed that if I put a folder into the fonts folder for of Indesign CS3,CS4 or CS5 and then want to move it out of that folder to the desktop it copies the folder. (This happens with every folder in the applications folder) If I put it into the trash it moves the folder/file to the trash. Why is it copying the folder/files rather than moving, we have other intel macs using the same system software and they are not reacting the same way? The The indesign folders and font folders are set up as read & write for all the users? The Applications folder is set up for the system, admin to be read & write and everyone is set up as read only, if I change the everyone to read & write the results do not change.

I should mention that our mac user account (this is a general account that is local), works as it should. The smb account that I am logging into using my AD credentials is copying folders, rather than moving them. I assume it has something to do with the home folder on the server rather than local. Can anyone tell me what setting needs to be changed to fix this?

Thanks

Correct location for fonts on a Mac...

Correct location for fonts on a Mac...

Fonts on a Mac should only be managed with either Font Book or with a third party font management program like LinoType FontExplorer. The Fonts folder in the InDesign application folder is only to be used for "core" fonts needed by the app and should not be modified by the user.

If you have a large number of fonts, then the only way to go would be Linotype FontExplorer. Using Font Book with a large number of fonts can be unwieldy at best.

Lets take the font folder factor out of this for now. Lets say I want to put a new picture into the sample folder of Photoshop. I can put the file in that folder, but if I want to move the file to the desktop it automatically copies it, rather than moving it?? The other intel macs we have move the files (same system software 10.6.6), the Imacs are set up differently and I would like to know how to make them the same.

Thanks

Well it sounds like the active directory account you are logging into your a mac with, is mounting a remote user folder. Like a server volume. If so then if it is not a local volume like your internal hardrive, then moving the fonts from the fonts folder to say your desktop might make a copy rather then move. But really the desktop is just another folder within your user folder. Maybe check the permissions of this folder.

Just throwing this out there.

P

prepressguru thank you for explaining the remote user folder, that is exactly what I am seeing. If I look at my user the sharing & permissions state that everything is read & write. Is there another folder I am missing?

You might not be able to work around this issue if the user folder is like a remote volume. Because it will always copy when you try to move to a different physical location.

Do you have an administrator who manages your active directory? Might be best to check with them. I am not overly familiar with AD. But one thing to try, is set the read write access to full control. This would have to be done on the PC serving AD.

p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back