File Input Workflow for a Small Shop?

zcto7

How does your small shop handle customer's electronic orders? website, email, ftp? At my managers request I am looking to reform our workflow of receiving customer files.

Currently out shop is receiving job orders and pdf jobs from 3 separate email accounts, and a ftp. It is getting confusing consolidating jobs, which occasionally get lost in the emails.

I wish we had a section built into our website (which is down) that would easily let customers upload files/jobs. But is there a better way to be going about all this? Some of our customers have troubles uploading files (word doc brochures :rolleyes: ) using the FTP. We currently use leapfile for our ftp service, which emails us a link when something is uploaded. Possibly in the future we could have leapfile integrated into the site.

Sometimes jobs come in to prepress and not to the manager, sometimes vice versa, and sometimes both. Mainly through email, and occasionally over the phone.

Any hints, tips, suggestions would be appreciated

We use FTP mainly.. We do not rely on Email. Last 4 months we have been using an sync service that has multiple platforms that syncs files beautifully.. There is a free 2gb account but needing more space requires a paid service. And yes, this requires a program needing to be installed but it works great. Its fast and reliable

Heres a link for a video : https://www.getdropbox.com/screencast#screencast

Last edited:
You could investigate: //www.yousendit.com It's much easier than FTP
One of their free, or paid-for enhanced services might work for you.
I've been using the free version for years to send big files.

best, gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print

It's easy to set up your own FTP server, just do that. Once you have the file(s) what do you want to do? One option is to use Enfocus SWITCH to monitor the FTP server and pull files down. Emails can be sent that a file has been received either back the original person uploading, a CSR or who ever you want. Same thing with emails. SWITCH will watch an email address and grab the emails. The email address then becomes meta data which you can then later email back preflight reports or custom messages. Since SWITCH now has the jobs you can automatically decompress them, convert files to PDF, a diagnostic preflight, etc. And since it's running on a workstation/server it can be processing jobs unattended while you're off doing billable work. Then when you're ready to grab the job you've got the files, and some sort of preflight report to review before you start digging in. It's a simple process really.

CrushFTP

CrushFTP

We've been using CrushFTP (CrushFTP) and it works great. It works for both Macs and PCs and has built-in email capabilities that will send notices when files hit the site, including file name and size.

There's also an http interface that you can give your client where they simply go to your website, type in their username and password and then have very intuitive dialogs where they can browse their hard drive to upload files to you.

And the price is very, very affordable.

Paul

Get Rumpus FTP server, works great. Runs on a Mac, and uses a web page to upload files. It will be the best money youve ever spent!

AjR

rumpus

rumpus

I second the Rumpus scenario we have been using it for years & it works great. Very robust with email notifications.

Files Anywhere

Files Anywhere

Another service to check out is Files Anywhere - https://backup.filesanywhere.com/index.html
It is another web based service similar to You Sendit, but it functions almost as an FTP site by giving you; E-mail alerts that files have been uploaded or proofs have been downloaded, administrative control over the accounts on the site, the ability to password protect accounts if you would like, and some very easy to understand management tools. As a bonus, when you call the support number you get an actual person who has actual answers. My account is $8.95 per month, which includes 5 gigs of storage at any one time and unlimited transfers. Meaning someone could upload a 5 gig file, I could download it then delete it from the site and have another 5 gigs available. I have had no troubles with this service and it is very easy to use.

We are currently finalizing a new file upload feature for our TribalSketch product. It uses a very reliable browser upload component that can handle files up to 2 GB in size and is as fast as FTP. Users can select multiple files and start them uploading. This feature is combined with the custom website, the online estimating and project management capability. It is inexpensive and a very complete solution.

David Lewis
www.tribalsketch.com - Home

Obligatory WebDAV recommendation ;)
ftp is so 90's

If you use Vista as a client, make sure you install the KB907306 update or WebDAV won't work.

Chasd.

Thanks for all the replys guys!

I'll have to look into Enfocus's Switch....it looks very cool. The only problem being administering the server when i'm not there....as there is no tech dept.

Thanks again :)

Once SWITCH is set up, and no one is mucking with the server, there isn't a lot to monitor. It just sits there working. It all depends on what you want it to do and how you set it up. I have clients running thousands upon thousands of jobs daily running completely lights out.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back