Flood Coverage on Uncoated Sheet Protection

pdan

Have done several runs of a flood back business card. The client must be noticing rub when keeping them in a wallet as they are now requesting Dull Aqueous flood over the back.

Do they really think small offset printers have Dull Aqueous capability?

After several long deep sighs I mentally conceded that I should do something; Flood gloss varnish or UV. Because it is a frequent run and not simple I pre-printed this backer 3 weeks ago.

I put several sheets through our Tec Lighting UV Coater with high hopes; I rubbed two sheets together with moderate pressure and transferred backer ink to the clean front; another sigh...

I don't have any varnish, a bit of a surprise. I used it semi-frequently several years ago (when printing was a day to day occurrence).

I expect a 2% chance of myself applying an Aqueous overprint.
Can a Ryobi 3302 apply Aqueous???
Would it be more effective than UV coating on an uncoated sheet?
Would varnish be more effective than UV?

Ryobi 3302 - 200 sheet run - 8 up bleeding BCD - Flood Pantone 433 with open reverse type - Cougar 100# cover

We found a supplier several years ago that provided us with a roller train AQ coating . . . it was "fun" to run .. . you need to keep a spray bottle with water handy for when you had to reload the paper to keep the coating fluid and it smelled funny . . but it worked - you don't say where you are and the ink supplier closed its doors a year or so ago so I don't know where you could get some offhand - talk to your ink vendor . .. but coating/varnishing on an uncoated sheet for protection is iffy at best . .. just my 2 cents :)

Almost everyone who manufactures aqueous coatings makes an ink train coating, though few promote them much. if reasonable care is taken in running them and they are carefully washed out of the press after use, they run pretty well.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back