FM Screes

Visar

Hi all,

We are unseeing a AM screens in our CTP to make plates. I have been told that if we use FM screens will get much better print quality with good contrast and fine details.

Any idea how to start to use AM screes, like type of plates, calibration all ideas will be very helpful.

Thank you in advance

Hi all,

We are unseeing a AM screens in our CTP to make plates. I have been told that if we use FM screens will get much better print quality with good contrast and fine details.

Any idea how to start to use AM screes, like type of plates, calibration all ideas will be very helpful.

Basically you:
Check with your vendors to make sure that your plates and CtP are qualified to run the FM screens that you want to use.
Make sure you have a consistent, reliable, current printing process.
Get buy in from management, prepress, and pressroom.
Build plate curves to compensate for the increased dot gain.
Optionally create a new profile for your proofing device.

All the info you need to do FM is on my blog here: The Print Guide it also includes the possible issues that you may encounter. Just look at the postings related to FM screening.

Gordo

I have been told that if we use FM screens will get much better print quality with good contrast and fine details.

It also depends on what you are printing and on what substrate. If you are printing on recycled board as we are, there's no real appreciable difference between FM 25 and say a properly calibrated 175/200 line AM. If you are printing fashion magazines with crazy patterns, on good stock, that's another story.

Gordo's right, you need buy in even if you have the raw materials and equipment, especially the pressroom!

Thank you Galvatron, we are printing catalogs for the real estates with so much details in photos. It is printed on art paper 250 gsm.

FM (Frequency Modulation) screening was first conceived in 1965 by Karl Scheuter, at the Technical University of Darmstadt in West Germany, there is also a rich history of contributors that helped make this technology possible.

Last edited:
FM (Frequency Modulation) screening was first conceived in 1965 by Karl Scheuter, at the Technical University of Darmstadt in West Germany, there is also a rich history of contributors that helped make this technology possible.

This comes up on Google searches...but I guess it's how you define FM screening (and conceived). I have 4/c printed samples from the early 1900s in my library.

gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back