Food Safe Digital Printing on Xerox 700

sidneykidney

A customer in the UK wants to create a wrapper for individual chocolates like the ones you get with After Eight Mints.

I've sourced a 'Food Safe' paper which is a 90gsm Silk, but does anyone know if its safe to print these on my Xerox 700 or would they have to been printed litho using food safe inks.

I don't have the full specification as yet but I'm just covering all areas because the chocolates may be in contact with printed areas of the wrapper.

You may want to check with Xerox. I believe I read somewhere that their toner is non toxic.

A customer in the UK wants to create a wrapper for individual chocolates like the ones you get with After Eight Mints.

I've sourced a 'Food Safe' paper which is a 90gsm Silk, but does anyone know if its safe to print these on my Xerox 700 or would they have to been printed litho using food safe inks.

I don't have the full specification as yet but I'm just covering all areas because the chocolates may be in contact with printed areas of the wrapper.

I would certainly check in with Xerox about this.

Never had to produce food safe print before but I know our digi print providers would respond to us over the phone (I'm Print Manager for UK company).

Digital print settings are extremely important. If your settings are incorrect, then the toner may rub off into food stuff. The correct digital substrate would have to be used. I know for a fact that Richo test all substrate stocks for us and set the correct settings so that the toner sits right on the paper.

Even if this substrate is passed for food stuffs - I would get a quality check by calling in an engineer and digi print expert from Xerox to confirm.

Your company/job could depend on it! :D

I would take a look at the EuPIA site and in particular "EuPIA Guideline on Printing Inks Applied to the Non-Food Contact Surface of Food Packaging Materials and Articles".

The only true way to validate if it was food safe would be to migration test it at somewhere like PIRA or ISEGA or other test lab

I would totally agree with PrintFocus and their comment .....Your company/job could depend on it!:D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back