Free DTP Software - BETA testers needed

zbolan

I have been asked by a client to help find some Beta testers for a new windows DTP application coming to market mid-year. The Beta period runs from Jan. 16th through end of March, 2009. Drop me a line if interested. Beta testers will receive a free copy of the application.

reply to: [email protected]

cheers,
zac

What are some of the features of this new DTP app?
Is it a page layout, vector drawing app, raster based?

Depending on what it does, you may get more takers.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your interest. I was a bit vague about the application initially because I wasn't sure about the rules of the forum regarding products, etc.

I am working as a prepress consultant for Founder Electronics in Beijing, China. As you all might know, Founder makes Chinese fonts, RIP's, proofing software and workflows. In the Chinese domestic market, Founder also makes page layout software. The application is called Founder FIT and it has a fairly dominant position in the Chinese language publishing market, worldwide. Founder is now working on an English language version of FIT for the global market and is nearly ready to start the BETA testing phase of development.

FIT is a fairly well-featured page layout application in the style of Quark Xpress or Adobe InDesign, but will be targeting more of an entry-level user. If Founder is successful, then commercial printers will end up getting print jobs produced with FIT from "business/education/community group" type users, at least initially. This is why it's important to get your input now, in the Beta phase.

When the software is released (target date May 5th), Founder will give a license to anyone helping with the Beta.

As for VDP, the answer is YES but NO. There is a Chinese language version of FIT for VDP called VariFIT which currently only works with the Founder digital press workflow. At this point there is no plan to make an English language version of VariFIT... but hey, anything can happen, right?

So, if anyone's interested, drop me a line at...
[email protected]

And I'll get back to you with Beta details.

cheers,
zac

Howdy,

For now, no MAC version is planned... :-(, however, I've been running FIT quite successfully both in VISTA on a bootcamp install and XP through a Parallels VM. Also, I've installed FIT and run it successfully on the Window 7 beta. Believe me, I'm a Mac guy and would like nothing better than for FIT to go dual platform, but between "Pages" on the low end and the "Quark / Adobe hegemony" on the high end, there isn't much space for a new player in the Mac DTP market.

Also, China is not known for Mac software development.

cheers
zac

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back