Free 'press ready' PDF makers for MAC and PC

RobertK

What FREE pdf makers for MAC and PC are out there and recommended for making 'press ready' files for book printing? Although I know 'free' and 'recommended' dont really go together ;-)

Mostly for one-time customers or customers that come few times a year. Who are not going to buy a $$ application.

They make there books in Microsoft Word and need to supply us a PDF. With the option to embed fonts, quality settings. Just something we can generally work with. Being user friendly is most important for them.

I know i can advice the trial version of Acrobat Pro. But this only works for the 1-timers.. So looking for a single solution.

Thanks,

Robert

CutePDF doesn't work on Mac, but I have installed it on multiple Windows computers up front, and they find that it does what they need.

CutePDF - Create PDF for free, Free PDF Utilities, Edit PDF easily;.

As far as Mac, if they can print, then they will see PDF in Print dialog box, and can choose to Save As PDF/X. Everything will be converted to RGB, but hires will be kept, and fonts will be embedded. Not the best solution, but it's free. I really wish Apple would include PDF/X-4. In fact, I'm on the phone right now with them trying to get this put in as a feature request, to help all prepress everywhere (that use Macs) to receive PDF in a format that is more editable. In fact, if one wanted to let Apple know of their desire for this feature, please go to apple.com/feedback and let them know.

Don

Last edited:
I can see there are numerous options out there! I also began googling the subject....and there are TONS of PDF makers. But all being for PC. So i guess when we have MAC users ill have to experiment with the OSX supllied PDF maker.

Anyone ever analyzed some and can tell me which is the user friendliest en gets best results? Or a shortlist for me to try out and compare.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back