From Brisque to Prinergy

Re: From Brisque to Prinergy

Everyone that likes their Brisques needs to tell Kodak that we want to keep them! I prefer UNIX to any windoze for reliability and security.
Plus all of our existing CT/LW files and I use the hell out of presstouch for last second changes and fixes. Why the heck is kodak killing it off?
Keep both Brisque and Printergy! if Printergy is so great why do you have to hold a gun to our heads to get us to switch?

i switched from brisque to prinergy last january, and couldnt be happier. i will admit that the trapping seems a bit strange on some occasions, and we have to check it pretty closely. however, since we updated to prinergy, our throughput has improved remarkably, and we are constantly improving as we go.

i am sorry for those of you who miss the brisque, but count me among the people who couldnt wait to make the switch and are glad we did!

cr

Chris,
Where do I send you the $5 CDN for the plug?

I am curious what most users are fixing primarily. Smart Edge workarounds? Swapping in new Photoshop pics? Adjusting Frame decisions? File prep problems? Adding varnishes? Just a simple trap direction on the pair?

I find many people love the Brisque because once it is ripped, it's ripped and everyone can breathe a sigh of relief. ROOM ROOOM ROOOOOOOOOM.

Then there seems to be another huge group of users that then takes that file and goes nuts in Presstouch. Rip Once, Presstouch Many. Danger Zone if there are content changes made that the designer doesn't do on their Mac as well in the source file, and it reappears again a year later and everyone cringes.

Someone very close to their Brisque finally admitted that they felt Creo then Kodak actually gave Brisque much more of a longterm chance than expected. When Creo bought Scitex, many panicked in Herzelia, Israel but then Brisque 5 came out and a lot of the code effort to migrate things like CT/LW support, PDF advanced Preflight, trapping logic, device link profile handling was brought into Prinergy to make the inevitable change smoother when it did happen years later.

The Concorde hangs in several museums/airports as a tribute to possibly the most incredible passenger jet of the modern era. They could still fly it if they wanted to, but oil is sitting at $80 barrel now and pretty hard to justify up to 6100 Gallons per hour to fly 100 people somewhere. That's 17 mpg per passenger in these modern times. The Brisque could still be used, but Adobe got cute with a little feature called Transparency and Drop Shadow. Tthe amount of time an operator needs to spend inside Presstouch, the application, the RIP settings etc. is the bigest reason why it has end of Sale. It is still supported for years after that happens, BTW. Prinergy burns less network packets, hard drive bytes, and time to get plates on press which is why it ultimately is a no-brainer for many owners.

If the world still worked with PostScript primarily, and the price of big hard drives are dropping all the time, you could still drive the Brisque for a while. So, blame Adobe and not Creo or Kodak. :)

The world evolves and so does our workflow.

Cheers,
AL

It's a whole new ballgame for me.

As I've previously posted 2 weeks back, we're currently migrating from Brisque 4.1 to Prinergy 4.0. It's been a very nice transition for me and a few other people here. I can't speak for others though ;) I thought it was going to happen over a span of a month but after the first day of onsite training, many of us opted to make to switch to Prinergy immediately rather than fight with the Brisque.

I loved the workhorse stability of UNIX AIX. You couldn't crash that system if you wanted to. It was probably the most stable and best RIP I have ever had the pleasure of working with, but Allan pretty much nailed it....it was Adobe that forced it in to retirement by including layers, dropshadows and transparency in the process so we had no choice but to follow the trend.

I honestly can't say much about our new PDF workflow since I'm still new at this but there are other more seasoned veterans out there who have said some interesting things that caught my attention. I can say this... it swallows everything WHOLE so far. Compared to the Brisque workflow, we no longer worry about transparencies, RGB images (which used a horrible archaic color conversion by default) and color mapping (it's so much more flexible in Prinergy). There are many other bells an whistles but thats to be expected from a newer workflow. I suppose when you go to a new place that uses Prinergy, all the templates are already set up for you, or they have a Prinergy administrator taking care of the specifics, so that part should be a breeze.

Trapping is nothing like the Brisque. So far, the default setup has been fine for about 90% of the jobs...or at least it appears. Like I said, we just migrated over 2 weeks ago but haven't heard anything about it from the pressmen. Time will tell.... For now, I recommend going through the quick-start trapping tutorial which is located on the jobdata volume, for starters. That should be enough to get you going. They may have the Advanced Trap Editor so you'll want to do a little reading on that as time goes on.

Good Luck!

Edited by: gig0 on Nov 18, 2007 7:09 PM

Started today my first Prinergy workflow
I am speechless about how simple it looks compared to Brisque
2 hours revision and I am already sending jobs and working 80% in autonomy!
Great decision!
I am very pleased with the change in just one day!!
I will let you know when I wake up!!!
Cheers

> {quote:title=MC_JerryD wrote:}{quote}
> Have not had much success picking up Brisque CT/LW files and converting them into the Prinergy workflow. Usually get text and vector images going fat such as transparency issues usually seen in the Brisque workflow. End up using the Postscript file created from the native application, and distilling that. The issue is we were told you could easily use the old CT/LW files.
>

> {quote:title=kriste hunter wrote:}{quote}
>We have a similar story switching from Brisque 4 to Prinergy. It was about 6 months ago and we started up quickly. We have not been able to use ANY of our previous Brisque CT/LW files so have had to re-refine everything. We were told it would be easy to pick up our old files.
>

Hi Jerry and Kriste,
I was wondering if you have an update on your experience moving existing Brisque files into Prinergy - better?, worse?, given up? It's not clear to me and maybe you could explain just how this works. Are Brisque files being "integrated" into Prinergy whereby they are passed through the system like copydot files and then screened at time of imaging *or* are they being "converted" to pdf by a Prinergy process (maybe similar to Pdf2Go on the Brisque) and after that, no longer used? It was suggested to me that a pdf thumbnail is created when the Brisque file is input, the thumbnail used for imposition and then the hires .job is swapped in when going to plate/proof - like an opi situation. Can either of you shed some light on this? Thanks. I appreciate the position you folks wound up in but I don't want to go there myself, at least, not knowingly - with gigs of existing live Brisque jobs that will need to reprint. Going back to the native app. means refining, re-trapping and consequently re-proofing. I don't want to believe it's a breeze and have it turn into a tornado on me!
-Dan

This is just to confirm that Prinergy is the best update that Brisque could be wishing for.
It has been three months since the switch and I can only say good things about Prinergy.
Sometimes little postscript errors and transparencies issues are almost fun to resolve.
The Preps workflow is an amazing plaything.
The only fear is that it is so simple that from now on even sales rep will be able to do an Improof or check the colours and size.
Pitstop beats Remake and PressTouch 100 to 1
To whoever regrets that Brisque has not updates anymore (beside the cost issue) I tell, regret no more.
Brisque is resting in the RIP heaven and will be forever loved and never forgotten but the new life with Prinergy will be a breeze.
God save Creodak and the Creodak children.
Cheers

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back