FTP site

pp411

We currently use a WS FTP server set up on a Windows XP machine. For the most part, it works, however it seems like we always have customers who cannot access it (and we're always given the "well, we never have this problem with any other ftp site"). A lot of the time it's because our customers are trying to use a web browser instead of an FTP client such a Fetch, and sometimes it's because they have a PASV box in fetch that needs to be turned off. Seeing as how we rely on an outside vendor to help with our IT stuff, we're kinda lost. We were told we cannot set up our FTP site for access from a web browser.

I guess I'm wondering if it's normal to have at least 4-5 customers per week who can't access our site, and it it is truly impossible for them to access from a web browser, or even from their pcs at all. If someone could at least point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. It's becoming a bit frustrating for us as well as our customers. Is is just wishful thinking to have everyone access our FTP site all the time no matter what they are using?

I've not used WS FTP, so no real help in that regard. You could go with something like Rumpus: About Rumpus for browser based FTP. Or you could educate your clients and inform them of some of the free sw available for FTP clients. Like Cyberduck, etc. I used to have an FTP running on a XServe, and we always pointed customers to a free client software, and walked them through install, and upload + download the first time. After that most folks were off and running.

Rumpus is the way to go.

I had the same problems as you did - every day there would be SOMEONE that couldn't access our FTP site for one reason or another... and I have to laugh, because they always, always say "I never have this problem on OTHER people's FTP sites"...

Switched to Rumpus - and ever since then, my problems have virtually gone away. Now and then we get problems with customers logging in/transferring files, but it's 9 times out of 10 something they are doing wrong, and I have to talk them through it on the phone. You'll never get away from that, but Rumpus sure as heck eliminated 90% of my headaches.

Jon

Definitely sounds like a good solution - it's a shame to have to scrap a program we've already invested money in. Thanks for the replies - I'll be looking into Rumpus!

Filezilla Server runs just fine on an XP, and it is free. I have people on Macs and Windows access with no issues.

While we're on the FTP topic. Is there anyone out there who uses Crush FTP on a Mac? If so would you recommend it? We are thinking of setting up an internal FTP on our Mac server.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back