ftp

WharfRat

Do you folks host your own FTP site on an in-house server?
What application do you use?
Do you have a link on your company web site to hit the ftp server?
I am trying Filezilla and having seemingly unsurmountable trouble trying to hit it from anywhere.
I tried MassTransit. The express worked OK but it is the free extremely limited version.
The full version is $7000 and I do not think we are enterprise enough to justify that.

MSD

Does it have to be FTP and hosted in-house? We used to host our own FTP, but it was too much upkeep and a security weakness so we switched to using Transfer Big Files (similar to You Send It). It's extremely affordable (the free option is very limiting, recently even more so). It may not be an option if you need a lot of user accounts, but everyone submits files to us through a single account (think of it as "anonymous" of FTP). It also includes a widget to put on your website for easy access for your clients. And you'll get emails when files are uploaded.

Do you folks host your own FTP site on an in-house server?
What application do you use?
Do you have a link on your company web site to hit the ftp server?
I am trying Filezilla and having seemingly unsurmountable trouble trying to hit it from anywhere.

I tried MassTransit. The express worked OK but it is the free extremely limited version.
The full version is $7000 and I do not think we are enterprise enough to justify that.

MSD

We host our own FTP server. It is Rumpus, which is Mac based. Very user friendly. It has a web based client, and users can also use whatever client they have, to access the server. It is drag-and-drop, so it is very easy for to send files. We have a link to it on our website, and it is very seamless. I wrote a small script so that when someone clicks on the link to our FTP server, it will first take that person to a form to fill out, so we know who the files are from, and what the files are for. That form then gets emailed to our sales team, and to prepress. Once the user hits send, it goes to the ftp login screen, where they have to enter the username and password. Very secure! We have a general login account, which works for most users, and we have a handful of accounts for our better customers. The software also has built in email notifications, but we dont use that part of it, since our form on our website takes care of the email notifications. The price for the ftp software is under $300.
Hope this helps.

-Sev

Rumpus all the way easy to set up, mac only so IT support will probably have kittens!

A

Another vote for Rumpus. Been running on a Mac Mini for almost 7 years now with nary a hiccup.
Instructions for setup including router configuration are topnotch. We have little to no IT support so essential.
"If you are experiencing connectivity problems consult your network administrator." Oh crap that's me!

One advantage to hosting internally is once the upload (or if you are posting for customer downloads) is complete your transfer to your prepress server (or from) happens at the speed of you internal network and NOT speed of your internet connection. Very useful if you have gigs of data to transfer.

Don

WharfRat, Filezilla is very easy to setup, I can help you if you like, just PM me. I also can help you with MassTransit.

Yes, we have a FTP server on our main server and it is linked from our main website. Most of our customers use it via a web browser HTTP connection, however it can also be used in a traditional FTP connection.

The "engine" driving the system is CRUSH FTP:

CrushFTP

We have an OK internet download speed, however our upload speed is about 1/10th of the upload. As we host our FTP site, files uploaded to our internal server are very fast. If we use a service like YouSendIt or DropBox then the upload is slow for large files. There are pros and cons for both internal and externally hosted solutions.

Of course, if you have a prepress workflow system or an MIS system, then you may be accepting files from customers through a portal to these systems, rather than with a standard FTP workflow (or the FTP workflow could route the files to the MIS or prepress system).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I finally repaired it yesterday.
Even though I turned of our other AFTP server software
I neglected to go in and turn disable the services.
The old software was taking the upper hand and Filezilla could not connect.

Thanks all,
MSD

I know you got it working, but I just wanted to second Stephen's suggestion. Used CrushFTP for years. Works well and is extremely affordable.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back