Fusion Pro Users - Break job into multiple files?

PrintIT

Question for Fusion Pro users -
If you have a job that's 10,000 records, can you have Fusion Pro automatically break it into multiple print files? i.e. every 1000 records is a separate file, so you'd end up with 10 print files?
I've used Fusion Pro in the past but don't remember if it had that ability.

I know the XMPie server version does this, but we're looking for something a little more reasonably priced with that feature.

Yes it can unless you want to use Fusion Pro Imposer with the file also then in does not work, at least in version 6.0.

Yes, when you're ready to compose, under one of the tabs (don't remember which), there is a setting to do this and you can specify how many records per file.

pd

So it will only output 1-up files if we tell it to break it into chunks? It won't give us imposed files?

Darn. We're currently using the desktop version of XMPie, and it will give us imposed files, but we have to manually break it up. i.e. we tell it to export records 1-1000, then 1001-2000, etc. so it's very time consuming for a larger job (and obviously leaves room for human error if we mess up the ranges we're exporting).

The server version of XMPie automates this, which is what we'd like to do, but we just can't justify the cost for the server version.

I'm using an old version of Fusion Pro Imposer (v 6.2.3) and Fusion Pro version 6.2 and I find the option in the FP Imposer app on the layout tab - at the bottom of the layout window there are three items under step and repeat one of the pull downs says stack and lets you choose infinite or enter a number for the amount of the stack . . .hope this helps

Why would you need to impose it in fusion pro? Why not do it at the rip? If it's a job format you do often it's as simple as setting up a hot folder with print and imposition settings, dropping the file in, and watching it print.

Why would you need to impose it in fusion pro? Why not do it at the rip? If it's a job format you do often it's as simple as setting up a hot folder with print and imposition settings, dropping the file in, and watching it print.

This is how I would do it. Might take a bit, but I'm sure you can make several pots of coffee while it RIPs.

For the color stuff we could, but a lot of these jobs are black & white - No impo on the KM 1200 or 1250 RIPs. Need to be imposed .ps or .pdf files.

FusionPro will definitely do what you are looking for. It can do this for 1up or imposed output. I use the settings all the time for very large jobs we run every day.

Thanks for the input everyone - Got a 15 day demo and downloading it now - Looks like the options we need are there.

So it will only output 1-up files if we tell it to break it into chunks? It won't give us imposed files?

Darn. We're currently using the desktop version of XMPie, and it will give us imposed files, but we have to manually break it up. i.e. we tell it to export records 1-1000, then 1001-2000, etc. so it's very time consuming for a larger job (and obviously leaves room for human error if we mess up the ranges we're exporting).

The server version of XMPie automates this, which is what we'd like to do, but we just can't justify the cost for the server version.

Look in the PTI application folder. In there you'll find FPImposer which is the Imposition builder :)

pd

Last edited:
You can also do this dynamically based on something in your data - such as a change of tray if your printing in presorted order

I set up a whole job in FusionPro - Proofed it out yesterday & looked great.
Got approval and tried to write the print files this morning and the composer won't do anything. Just writes a .cfg file and then hangs.
Tried different files. Two different versions of Acrobat. Ran the uninstaller and then reinstalled FusionPro all with a couple reboots thrown in. No luck.

Emailed support, so we'll see what they say.

What I didn't like about it in the past still seems to be true though - The software itself just feels clunky compared to XMPie. The tools themselves in Acrobat seem clunky. Going through the server to load fonts then quitting/opening programs is a pain. It lost the links to one of my data files, but other files opened fine. Then it just stops working with no error messages or anything. Sigh - Time to keep beating up the bean-counters to try and get money for an XMPie upgrade.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back