FusionPro alternatives

rocketjam

We use FusionPro for our variable data software. For a lot of our work, it gets the job done just fine, but on our more complex VDP jobs we tend to have a lot of problems with it. Specifically it's type handling capabilities are very shaky, at least on the Mac version. I'm seriously considering other options as we waste way too much time trying to get it to do what we want. We do most of our VDP work with PDFs, i.e. we get a PDF from our customer and have to add variable data to it. I've looked at XMPie and was very impressed with it, however it only works in InDesign and as far as I know leaves imposition to the user to figure out, while FusionPro has it's own imposition software. Does anyone have suggestions for a good FusionPro replacement that will work with PDFs and has imposition capabilities. And costs under $1000 per seat?

We use XMPie here, it's quite powerful and it does have rudimentary imposition capabilities built in. (X-up, cut and stack etc) We use for all kinds of runs and complexities, from 100 to 1,000,000 record runs. I personally quite like that it's an InDesign plugin so it didn't make for much of a learning curve.

If you are receiving a PDF from a customer and you are simply laying over the data, have you considered using Fiery freeforms? You can even use MS Word for the variable component. It's by far more basic, but considerably cheaper. It depends on the complexity of your VD jobs really (artwork switchouts etc).

Take a look at DesignMerge Pro from Meadows Software. Yeah, I know, like XMPie, it's a plug-in for Adobe InDesign, but it has very strong type handling features. And you can place PDFs in InDesign, so it all works out.

I don't agree with Graeme's suggestion of Fiery FreeForm. #1, it's highly unsophisticated--just a half-step above MS Word Mail Merge, and much less functional than FusionPro; and #2, you didn't say you had a Fiery controller.

We use XMPie also. We started out with PlanetPress, but, our Variable Data & Image applications are so complex (one of our print jobs juggles over 75,000 different variables and images to produce one 32-page booklet, and we're averaging about 15,000 of those booklets per week), that we needed something a little more powerful. We started with the desk top versions of XMPie which cut the merge time significantly over PlanetPress, and now, we are using the Multiple-Instance Server Version of XMPie which also gives us the ability to do cross-media applications. Because the user interface is a plugin/drop down menu to InDesign (the most common, universally-accepted graphic arts design software in use today) the learning curve is very short, and while being very powerful, XMPie is also very easy to use

Xmpie classic is still way above your budget range ($4,500), but does so much more than FP. I would suggest contacting Xerox/Xmpie sales and see if they can work out a deal since you are a current FP customer. We just tried going to FP and went back to Xmpie due to FP limitations.

I just looked at the XMPie uMerge plugin for InDesign. I don't get it. What does it offer over and above InD data merge?

I just looked at the XMPie uMerge plugin for InDesign. I don't get it. What does it offer over and above InD data merge?

ID data merge is too slow. Also, I'm pretty sure it's just for merging data (not variable images). If all you're doing is merging data, and, merge time is not a factor, just use the mail merge function Microsoft Word

I merge data, images, bar codes, QR codes, etc. Speed hasn't been a problem at all (merge to PDF). Which is why I can't see what XMPie uMerge offers that I couldn't already do.

Please checkout PSL Page Builder from Jet Letter. I used InDesign in the past and thought about purchasing XMPie but the price was out of my budget and I hated the slow merge and print output from InDesign. I found PSL Page Builder a little over 1 year ago and it was the BEST purchasing decision I've made in my business ever!!! It is a FULLY contained program... not a plug in; built from the ground up. It's easy to learn and use. The data merge is fast at 20,000 records a minute (with certain setups even faster). You can start out with the base product for $2495 and they have lots of options such as payouts and rentals for the higher products. The top of the line PSL product competes head on with GMC for a fraction of the cost.

I completed the first project in 1 1/2 days just 3 days after purchasing the product. It was a form that had over 200 variable logos, in addition to the normal names and addresses. There was also several if then statements and multiple duplex pages dependant on data. In all there were 21 variable forms for the entire projects. PSL made it easy to copy a page as a template to build and add too for additional pages. You can easily lay in PDF's or other graphics and overprint data as needed. I have since set up over 50 projects of varying complexity. We do HOA statements for several properties with it. The data provided is in multiple records and we roll up 10 records into 1 statement with each record's variable charges appearing on the statement.

I haven't found ANY project that I couldn't do with PSL Page Builder. I'll put it my PSL Page Builder up against ANYONE with XMPie.

Last edited:
Hi rocketjam. I'm the senior developer for FusionPro VDP. Can you please be more specific about the issues you're running into with FusionPro? Have you contacted FusionPro Support, or posted on our forum? There's probably either an update to FusionPro which would alleviate some of the problems you're having, or tips that we at PTI/MarcomCentral, or other users, can offer. If there's a bug, we can investigate it and hopefully implement a fix. We value constructive feedback, and want you to be successful using our products. Thanks!

Planet Press, import a PDF, drag and drop the data fields on to the PDF. You have options regarding output, PS, PDF, OPS, and more is one choice to consider. Planet Press also offers subset finishing and tray calls based ont he data stream criteria. EnageIT (Sold through Konica Minolta) has a plugin for InDesign, from Meadows software although different version, is another choice in your price range. In regards to imposition, PDF Snake is a great PDF plug in, low cost, for gangup, bleeds.

We use fusion too and I agree it's a bit flakey, our crashes acrobat quite a bit but I still rather use this than xmpie. We paid 8k for xmpie and then 2k maintenance per year. In our line it was sledge hammer to crack a walnut. Problem was we decided not to pay the maintenance and 11 months later we changed our Adobe software and xmpie wouldn't run on the new version. Huge upgrade fee finally put us off. For what we do I would rather struggle with fusion and expression, tech support is free and good too!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back