Future of the 43 Wide Proofer??

cnorris

In a unprofessional and backwards way we have found out that Kodak is going to discontinue service and support for the 43 wide format proofer. Is this news to anyone else? Has anyone figured a way to still obtain ink and paper? I guess they are going to push a hybrid of an Epson. Just wondering if this catches anyone else off guard. Thanks to any and all responses.

Re: Future of the 43 Wide Proofer??

Nope, we've known for a while. Not happy, the 43Wide has been a darn good work horse for us. But, Kodak/Creo had a parting of ways with the OEM for the 43Wide awhile back. It's to bad, they got a great peice of equipment in 43Wide.

Edited by: mark Jetzer on Jan 11, 2008 9:37 AM

I was unaware of this. Too bad. I wish my 43 wide was faster but you talk about bulletproof!!!! Great machines!

We also have an Iris43Wide proofer and need a waste bin (or maybe only the inserts). Do you know where to order parts and supplies. I get ink from Xpedx, but don't know if they can get the waste bin.

I've set up a scan for [Iris 43WIDE|http://www.prepresspilgrim.com/store/Store/43WIDE_Sherpa] supplies at my prepress store. Remember that the Agfa Sherpa is pretty much the same machine and that a lot of wide-format place bought the machine as a Mutoh. So there a lot of those machines still out there, along with 3rd-party suppliers.

Best of luck.

Hey Debbie-

The last tech we had in said you could put whatever you want in the waste bin. Just stuff some cheese cloth in there. He said it can work without anything in there but it's better to have something so the waste ink doesn't slosh out when you remove the tray.

Debbie

We rotate 2 sets of waste bin "diapers" . When the bin gets full, dispose the waste ink

in our recycler , rinse the diapers with warm water, dry and reuse. Also for the print head

diaper too. Been doing this for years now.

We really want to keep our proofer as it's still runs great for what we do but are now looking
for a ink supplier.

Thanks for the advice on rotating the diapers. We were able to get the maintenance kit from Xpedx (which includes the pads/diapers). Kodak will be supplying parts, etc. until about 3/31/08. I have an entire parts and maintenance items list, but still have not heard who may supply parts after Kodak stops support. What parts might I want to order before they stop support, if any?

I too am wondering who will carry the ink cartridges.

Does anyone have experience with why sheets don't feed exactly evenly through the proofer, therefore making backups inaccurate for 2-sided proofing. Which parts (rollers?) need adjustment? I understand the paper can sometimes be not perfectly square (though we do buy cut stock specifically for the machine), but I don't feel this is the whole problem.

Any feedback on replacements for the Iris 43wide, besides Kodak's MPI Epson?
Spinjet?
Impoproof?
Preproofer?

Edited by: pmhapp on Feb 29, 2008 9:28 AM

Has anyone tried getting cartridges 'refilled' as an option if ink supplies become scarce??

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back