Future of the 43 Wide Proofer??

cnorris

In a unprofessional and backwards way we have found out that Kodak is going to discontinue service and support for the 43 wide format proofer. Is this news to anyone else? Has anyone figured a way to still obtain ink and paper? I guess they are going to push a hybrid of an Epson. Just wondering if this catches anyone else off guard. Thanks to any and all responses

Re: Future of the 43 Wide Proofer??

I knew Kodak was ditching Brisque support, but why the 43Wide? What's next, Trendsetters? Where did you hear this? I'm still using Brisque and like some things about it like Presstouch for post rip edits and being able to open CTs in Photoshop. Do you use Prinery, and if so, does it have these capabilities?

Mutoh, the OEM for the 43wide has ended it's support for the device (parts, etc.) That's the way I understand it.

If I'm not mistaken, it's a Mutoh printer?
2-sided proofing's a 40-thousand dollar question if you can't pick one up on eBay or through a used equipment dealer (check there first).

- Mac

If anybody is looking for possible replacement 43 Wide printers or for parts please contact me at [email protected]. We have 2 43 wide printers that we are looking at getting rid of, I would like to see someone in need of parts or a back up have these than worry about them getting scrapped. Both printers currently work one has a slight leak in the ink system but prints wonderfully.

Thank you

Brett Dorsey
Printing Partners
IT Administrator
929 W 16th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
ph 317.635.2282
fax 317.635.2312
[email protected]

Thanks to all that responded. Yes, I believe it is a Mutoh printer that they are no longer making or supporting. We would like to keep ours as long as we can locate alternative ink and paper supplies. We were told when supplies at our vendor are gone we are dead in the water. Anybody else facing this issue?

Phil, we are using Prinergy Evo and all alterations are done to PDFS in Acrobat with a Pitstop plugin. You can still open images in Photoshop.

Thanks again

Yes, Those were Mutoh's with modified Epson 9000 cartridges. We figuared it out and sell the cartridges much less than Kodak. Anyone need some??

Good day.

A short introduction

My name is Charlie Manson (yes, yes LOL), and I am the the Inkjet and Proofing Escalation and Technical Application Group manager for Kodak Graphic Communication Group.

To to clarify a few points

The Iris 43 and 62 Wide imposition proofers are indeed based on the Mutoh engine. The exact model name they have is the Mutoh Falcon 1.

Last year Mutoh approached us and told us that a business decision had been made by them to stop manufacturing and supporting parts for this product. They actually stopped selling the proofer as a whole several years ago.

We then undertook a project to make a last time buy from them and also to look around for other vendors.
We managed to buy enough parts from Mutoh to take us through to the end of March.
We did not find any vendor that either had an existing relationship, or was willing to undertake a partnership with Mutoh.

We did not receive our final inventory of last time buy parts until late 2007 and only then once we had actual parts in hand could we work out how much longer would could actually continue to service these machines at current burn rate.

This and some other unforseen actions meant the letters informing all customers was delayed, but this issue has now been resolved.

We also approached several third party service providers but because of the lack of availability of parts I am not aware of anyone who was willing to undertake future support needs.

I can assure you that as a qualified engineer and a long time employee and advocate of proofing within Iris, Scitex, Creo and now Kodak there are no 'hidden' agenda's behind this activity. The XWide proofers have proven to be an excellent tool for our customers and have LONG outlived their projected shelf life.

It may be that at the end of all this we might have an excess of some parts. If any of you would like to contact me I would be happy to maintain list of interested parties.

There may also be one or two newly refurbished machines available at the end of this March that we can pass on to interested companies.

If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to respond to this thread or email me directly at

[email protected]

Thank you

Charlie

Does Kodak have any recommendations for an automatic double-sided proofer?
Does anyone else have any feedback on them?

Oddly enough, Kodak IS pushing a replacement. A version of the Epson 9880 with some sort of dimetrodon (sail back dinosaur) fin attached to it for making two sided proofs. I have not seen one or even seen a picture. Bigfoot seems to have been photographed more often. The description didn't give me the warm and fuzzies since it would seem that the laws of physics may be against them. If anyone finds a pic, please post it.

Monkey

Looking to purchase IRIS 43 wide ink cartridges as well as misc. parts for these printers. Does anyone know of someone who sells these inks and or services these machines anymore???

Mark

I have in my posession 2 functional 43 Wide proofers as well as ink that i would be willing to part with. These proofers have not been used for aound 6 months but were in working order prior to being shut down. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] for details.

Thanks
Brett Dorsey
IT Manager
Printing Partners INC.
Indianapollis,IN 46202

Mark,
Our company, Mid-States Graphics, has sold both ink and media for these devices for a number of years, so we have a lot of experience and good success with them. The information you discovered is true, in fact I believe support, ink and media ended at the end of arch '08.

We sell through dealers across the US and if you're interested or have more questions feel free to contact me.

Regards.

Bob
bhill(at)myproofline(dot)com

Some one was asking about doublesided proofers. You can check out the www.versojet.com its HP based, and works well with prinergy installation. I have previously installed at many sites that had Iris wides. and works with plate data that was previously too large for Iris Wide devices.

RH: A couple of questions - How does this compare to Spinjet or is it the same device? If not, is it in the same price category as Spinjet? Why has VersoJet avoided the HP4000?
Just curious.

Hmmm, i had not heard that Kodak would be discontinuing brisque support. We are currently planning on replacing the brisque workflow with a new system. This includes proofing devices. The main issues we are having is of course transparency issues and low quality ink jets.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which system works well (or not) for them.

Keri

First let me say I do not work this product anymore having taken a role elsewhere. so please do not think I am speaking for prooftech.

It is not the same product as spinjet. it does have more in common with the FFEI doubleproof. but is by no means no means a doubleproof. and quite different.

The biggest difference as you can see is probably its more industrial looking. which makes it pretty sturdy. I have worked with doubleproof and spinjets and a common issue is unit goes out of alignment. the VJ is pretty sturdy. The main difference between the unit and spinjet is the paper loading system. The spinjet just loads the paper straight through. where as the VJ shuffles the paper back and forth - behind the HP rollers to try and equalise skew. Also it has never be sold with an official paper type that should be use. I have seen it work with uncoated to satin, to even some banner material.

Regarding price, to be honest I know very little about how it compared at least to endusers.

Not really sure about the 4000. In know the size was limited. as there was not a 60 inch version.

Hello all,

I would first like to introduce myself.

My name is Greg Mackey, I am the technical support and training manager for GEI Wideformat, a distributor and service provider for the Techsage SpinJet.

There have been several version of SpinJets over the years starting with the SJ1000, SJ5500 and now the SJ4000. The current model is the 42” SJ4000 as HP has discontinued the Designjet 1000 and 5500 series printers. During our recent training from Techsage we have developed several tips and techniques to optimize the performance of these devices. One key to minimizing skew is making sure that when loading the paper the spindle is inserted to the right as much as possible. Another important factor is the media that is used with the SpinJet.

Techsage has developed media specifically for use with the SpinJet. The Spinpaper comes in an uncoated 90 gram and coated 100 gram double sided media. This media is designed to reduce curl and other media related issues.

To find out more about the SpinJet go the website below:

http://www.geiwideformat.com/SpinJet.htm

Regards,
Greg Mackey

Greg,
Specially developed media? I'd like to hear more about that.
Is the 90 gram really an uncoated media? How do you stop bleed through?

Bob,

Yes, the NC90 Spinpaper is an uncoated media that was developed for use with the SpinJet. Extensive testing was performed to find a media that reduces curl and bleed. The actual composition of the media is confidential, but I can provide you with the specs if you are interested. We also have sample brochures and sample rolls if you are interested.

Regards,
Greg Mackey
[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back