G4 won't boot in OS 9

printmonger

I have a (new) G4, MDD with 2x1Mhz and 2 GB ram running 10.3.9 and 9.2.2. I can't get OS 9 to fully boot or use any applications. I'm sure this is a big ole can of worms but...any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: G4 won't boot in OS 9

Are you trying to boot the Mac into OS 9 or start classic?

Re: G4 won't boot in OS 9

Ahhhh yes. Old school. If you're actually trying to boot in OS9 you may want to hold the shift key right after the chime, hold it until it says "extensions disabled", to start with extensions off. If you're launching classic from within OSX open the "Classic" system preference and then go to the advanced tab and turn off extension from there. That'll usually get you on enough to see what's up, run the extensions manager and trial and error your way out of it. Barring that it might be a good idea to go into the OS9 system folder and gut everything out of the Font folder that isn't the name of a city. Many a healthy OS9 was disabled by nothing more than an ugly font.

When you say "new" G4 it's either "new to you" or you typo'd G"5". Either way. Instructions hold.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back