GBC Magnapunch - Dieset compatibility between models

Ynot_UK

We have a couple of Magnapunch 1's and a good collection of die-sets, covering all the popular finishing options we're ever asked for.
My understanding was these original Magnapunch dies only fit the MP1, however talking with an engineer yesterday (not a GBC guy, but well versed on all the popular finishing equipment), he was quite certain the MP1 dies fit the Magnapunch Pro.

I have long understood the inter-compatibility was only between the discontinued Magnapunch 2 and the Magnapunch Pro, however if this is not the case and our MP1 dies would fit an MP Pro, we shall look out for one, as it's a nice spec and would be better as our main punch.

If anyone has tried, is doing this, or has the definitive answer, please reply.

We have a couple of Magnapunch 1's and a good collection of die-sets, covering all the popular finishing options we're ever asked for.
My understanding was these original Magnapunch dies only fit the MP1, however talking with an engineer yesterday (not a GBC guy, but well versed on all the popular finishing equipment), he was quite certain the MP1 dies fit the Magnapunch Pro.

I have long understood the inter-compatibility was only between the discontinued Magnapunch 2 and the Magnapunch Pro, however if this is not the case and our MP1 dies would fit an MP Pro, we shall look out for one, as it's a nice spec and would be better as our main punch.

If anyone has tried, is doing this, or has the definitive answer, please reply.

On our Magnapunch (which is an older model 2.0) we have to remove the plastic gray handle on the die in order for it work properly. We were warned about this ahead of time from the person we bought our machine from from (we got it used from Brett in PA). According to the Brett they made some sort of change between our model and the current 2.0 models so the dies for the current model don't fit properly and leaving the plastic handle on can damage the machine.

This does make pulling the dies out of the machine less safe so we always turn the machine completely off before changing pins or dies. '

They sent us a video on how to remove the plastic handle: Remove Plastic Handle It was really easy.

I don't know if that would be the case with the Magnapunch 1 or not but it might be.

They sent us a video on how to remove the plastic handle: Remove Plastic Handle It was really easy.
Thanks - that video is interesting. The die-set pictured looks identical to our MP1 4:1 coil die,bar the self adhesive rule label to the front, which is not relevant on the MP1 as the punch does not have a clear front.

Seeing the video of this die-set going into an MP2 is encouraging, on the basis it is widely publicised that MP2 dies fit into the MP Pro, and seeing photos of the MP Pro with a handle on the die-set. On this basis, I can't see why our MP1 dies wouldn't fit straight into an MP Pro, without any modification.

Thanks - that video is interesting. The die-set pictured looks identical to our MP1 4:1 coil die,bar the self adhesive rule label to the front, which is not relevant on the MP1 as the punch does not have a clear front.

Seeing the video of this die-set going into an MP2 is encouraging, on the basis it is widely publicised that MP2 dies fit into the MP Pro, and seeing photos of the MP Pro with a handle on the die-set. On this basis, I can't see why our MP1 dies wouldn't fit straight into an MP Pro, without any modification.
Did your solution work fitting the MP1 Dies into the MagnaPunch Pro? We are in the same situation and they want us to purchase all new die's which will cost us a lot as we have several sets. Please let me know if you managed to get your MP1 dies to fit, or if there is a hack to make it work?

Did your solution work fitting the MP1 Dies into the MagnaPunch Pro? We are in the same situation and they want us to purchase all new die's which will cost us a lot as we have several sets. Please let me know if you managed to get your MP1 dies to fit, or if there is a hack to make it work?
We haven't come across a MagnaPunch Pro on the second hand market yet, so I don't know.
When we find one, we shall take a couple of MP1 die sets along to test exactly this.
As the Magnapunch Pro is still quite a young model, there aren't many about yet.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back