Getting vector data rasterized on the fly

gwh

Hi everyone,

I have a whole lot of Illustrator files placed into an Indesign document. The ID doc is then exported to pdf ready for high-resolution printing. In addition to this high res version, I also need to create a lower res version to be used on the web. The only problem is that since all the images in the file are placed .ai or .eps files, I can't get the resolution down low enough. I'm having to open up each of the images, save them as medium-res .png or .jpg files and then place them back into Indesign before creating another pdf.

I'm looking for a faster way to get this done since the file contains about 500 pages and a lot of images. I wondered if there was any other program to do with printing that might help me solve the problem. I thought that when digital files are sent to an imagesetter, the data is rasterized which is why I had the idea about some prepress program being of some help.

I wondered if someone could help me out here or point me in the right direction. Would really be appreciated.

Did you try the "smallest file size" setting when exporting? See attached.

Attachments

• Screen shot.jpg
    Screen shot.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 182
Thanks for the replies,

I have actually tried the smallest file size setting when exporting from Indesign. It reduced it by a few megabytes but not enough. I thought there was some setting in Acrobat that rasterized images but I can't remember where I saw it.

I also viewed the email proofs thread. The silverlight software looks interesting but I was kind of after a solution using the software I already have.

Since it's going on the web, try converting the document to RGB. 3 channels will be less data than 4+ channels. As far as rasterizing it in Acrobat, thats under Advanced setting in the print dialog (Print as Image). Write to .ps and distill.

Use your hi-res PDF. In Acrobat do a Save As to JPG. Fool around with the colorspace and resolution settings to find a happy balance of file size/quality that you are looking for. This could be done as a batch in Acrobat if you have multiple PDF files.

Last edited:
How will you use it on the web

How will you use it on the web

Lets say that you select one of the many good opinions and build your files for web use. Can you let us in on how you want to use these files on the web? You indicated your document is 500 pages and you want to use it on the web. Anything larger than a set of thumbnails is still going to be a big document to download.

Do you mind sharing your ideas of what you want to achieve with this?

David Lewis

Converting vector to raster will increase the file size not reduce it. If the file is already vector based it should be plenty small, unless your placed eps and ai files also contain bitmap elements.

Use your hi-res PDF. In Acrobat do a Save As to JPG. Fool around with the colorspace and resolution settings to find a happy balance of file size/quality that you are looking for. This could be done as a batch in Acrobat if you have multiple PDF files.

Good point! I forgot about the 'save as' options. This is more flexible than 'print as image'.

Have you tried exporting the pdf out of Acrobat as HTML? I went from a 6.2 MB .pdf to a 50 KB .html file. There are also the "reduce file size" and the "pdf optimizer" options in Acrobat as well. (see attached)

Attachments

• pdf opitimizer.jpg
    pdf opitimizer.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 196
  • reduce.jpg
    reduce.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 191
Hi everyone,

I have a whole lot of Illustrator files placed into an Indesign document. The ID doc is then exported to pdf ready for high-resolution printing. In addition to this high res version, I also need to create a lower res version to be used on the web. The only problem is that since all the images in the file are placed .ai or .eps files, I can't get the resolution down low enough. I'm having to open up each of the images, save them as medium-res .png or .jpg files and then place them back into Indesign before creating another pdf.

I'm looking for a faster way to get this done since the file contains about 500 pages and a lot of images. I wondered if there was any other program to do with printing that might help me solve the problem. I thought that when digital files are sent to an imagesetter, the data is rasterized which is why I had the idea about some prepress program being of some help.

I wondered if someone could help me out here or point me in the right direction. Would really be appreciated.

Did you trying exporting from InDesign as JPEG instead of PDF?

Regards,
Terry

Converting vector to raster will increase the file size not reduce it. If the file is already vector based it should be plenty small, unless your placed eps and ai files also contain bitmap elements.

I think that depends on the file, like for example, one that has all the type converted to outline. Even trying to optimize it using the smallest file size options won't help much. We've got a refiner in Prinergy that rasterizes these types of PDF's so we can get it small enough to email a PDF proof in certain instances, otherwise we end up breaking the file up into multiple emails.

...yep, definitely depends on the file, it is a misconception that all vector artwork is automatically smaller in file size than bitmap work...

...also a misconception that PDF 1.3 creates larger PDF due to flattening than using higher versions of PDF, sometimes they are, sometimes not...

Or you can try extracting your 500 pages into individual page and batch process them in Photoshop.

Yet another option - use ID's Transparency Flattener to your advantage.

On your Master Page (do this on all master pages that are used in your document), make a new layer on top of all other layers and draw a box over the entire page. Set its fill to Paper color. Now apply a Feather to the box, then change the mode to Multiply so it appears to disappear.

Now, when you export to PDF, make sure you choose Acrobat 4 Compatible (PDF 1.3) to ensure that it will be flattened. Since the feathered box must be rasterized during flattening, everything that lives below it in the stacking order will also get rasterized. You may need to tweak your export settings to get the file size that you need.

The beauty of this method is you can simply turn off that layer and everything is back to normal.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back