GMG Colorproof 4.5 and IT8.7.4

roscoe

I need to redo a GMG Colorproof rip setup for a Epson 9800. I have not been trained on this rip but have read the User Guides and am ready to try to redo this printer calibration. The setup thats in there now is a little full in the midtones to GRACoL specs, and I would like to setup to GRACoL specs. Spending money on training right now isn't even an option.

My question is-Can I use a IT8.7.4 file to do the recalibration and can I use the "official" GRACoL characterization text file (which is formated into the Visual IT*.7.4 format), to create the mx4?? The documentation I have refers to a IT8.7.3 file.

I will also need to create an additional setup for Staccato screening on this printer for which I have a printed random IT*.7.4 target.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The easiest way to use the it874 with GMG is to use xrite's MeasureTool to measure the data, then import it into gmg's profile editor (as current values into the mx4). Extra indicies will be either averaged or omited. Just have to make sure you export lab values in visual order from MeasureTool.

Gracol data (or. Icc profile) can be imported in the same manner.

Note that "recalibration" would be using the mx3 profile, and not the mx4 with an it8 target.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the help.
I have output a IT8.7.4 visual target formatted thru Colorport for the ICCColor spectro. When I went in to measure the target with MeasureTool, there is no reference for a IT8.7.4 for ICCColor spectro. Can I use Colorport to read and export values or do I have to make a reference target for MeasureTool?

Ew..Colorport. Nice product but doesn't play well with others. The problem you might have is that GMG wants visually ordered Lab values, and Colorport makes its own order...especially with a device like the ICColor, then doesn't allow for re-ordering the values.

Rather than reinventing the wheel here, you could just go this route.. when creating your mx4 define your target as the ECI2002 (random), import the Gracol Data, then use GMG's ECI2002 targets and templates formatted for the ICColor. I prefer to do all me measurement offline of GMG, but in cases of a device like the ICColor and Colorport (and where an existing reference file for the IT874 formatted for the ICColor is missing from MeasureTool), its much less headache to do everything with GMG.

What format is the IT874 target that you have printed using stacatto (i.e formatted for the ICColor)?

if you check out the C:\Colorproof\Testcharts (if its installed with defaults) you see the charts with spectro designations
the documents folder in the same area has an mx4 tutorial which explains most things.
edwin

"Reinvent the wheel"-thats exactly how I feel when I use all these different color management applications. It seems each one has their own little proprietary file formats that makes it more difficult than it should, in my opinion.

Anyway, enough ranting. THe staccato printed target I have is an random IT8.7.4 formatted for the spectroscan, Isis, or DTP70.

THe staccato printed target I have is an random IT8.7.4 formatted for the spectroscan, Isis, or DTP70.

You should be able to measure that with Measuretool or GMG. I prefer Measuretool as the measurement data is spectral and isn't truncated as it is when measured directly with GMG, allowing easier comparison back to Gracol data.

I would recommend using the same measurement device to measure the charts off both the press and proofer to lessen instrument error.

I was finally able to create a text file from the GRACoL data that GMG liked and was successful reiterating my new mx4 file to the ECI2002 targets thru GMG. I appreciate your help.

As far as the staccato IT8 printed target, I already have it read in using a Spectroscan . (I needed a icc profile for our EFI Colorproof rip, which I'm very familiar with). It shouldn't be a problem in getting this file into the same format as the GRACoL data(but not tonight), so I can use the same procedure as above. I agree that using the same specto is the best way to go, but I'm going to bite the bullet on staccato and keep my fingers crossed. Shouldn't be a problem though.

Once again, I want to thank you for your help. It was greatly appreciated!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back