good monitor for color work?

stargate

I am not talking about Eizo or Quatto here but something with more realistic price below 1K that you can calibrate with eye one and iMatch or ColorEyesDisplay or similar.

Any suggestions?

Re: good monitor for color work?

How about the Apple Cinema Display? Both the 20-inch and 23-inch are under 1K.

They are not bad but since I always used Apple monitors I was thinking if anyone is using some other LCDs also.

Check out the LaCie 321. Very nice and about 1.6K. I like mine very much.

rich

Edited by: Rich Apollo on Sep 17, 2007 12:11 PM

Rich,

What do you use to calibrate your LaCie? (Software/hardware). Do you like 321 better than Apple LCDs?

Derek

Hi

Try the EIZO ColorEdge CE range from around £800 or the EIZO Flexscan S2000, around £400. Had good results from both.

Regards

Paul Sherfield
The Missing Horse Consultancy

Hi
I use the Lacie 321 as well and I am very happy with it. I'm also sure that it's a better monitor than the ones Apple makes (it's quite clear if you compare the two gamuts in profilemaker after profiling with Eye One). Additionally I use Eye-One match for calibrating with Eye One Spectrophotometer or Display2, which is equally good and match cheaper. Excellent monitors are also NEC's pro series.
George Tzortzis

As I've mentioned in a previous post, I would personally go with a Eizo ColorEdge if you can drop the cash on it. It's got excellent specs (check the website for that).

If you can't drop the cash on an Eizo, I would actually go for a Dell or an LG. You can find one with identical specs to the Apple Cinema displays (pretty sure they're manufactured the same way anyway), you should go for it. Watch out for bloated contrast ratios, though. Anything saying that it's 3000:1 contrast ratio is probably bloated. The Apple Cinema Display is 750:1 with 300cd/m^2^ brightness and a 14ms response time, and it's been SWOP certified.

I just ordered one 24" Dell (2407WFP-HC) and will try to color profile with all the software/hardware available. Let's see.

Hi Ryan

The Dell 24" is a reasonable monitor. The major issue I have found with this screen is getting the brightnes to around 130cd when used with Macs. Using the 'normal' software and hardwear systems, say EyeOne Display 2, it has proved impossibe to get the brightness below 190-200cd.

This is also true of the screens in the new iMacs.

The solution to this is to use a 'high end' screen profiling software such as Basicolor Display v4 which will get the correct brightness, and improve other areas such as Gamma.

Regards

Paul Sherfield

ColorEyesDisplay also was able to get L to 120 on new iMacs. I also found out that Quato sells their software (iColor Display licensed from ICS) separate. Just downloaded and will try today. I like Quato licensing policy better since it's a site license. Never tried Basicolor as it was the most expensive solution. I have good color on new iMacs now but I was not able to achieve this with Monaco Optix Xp or with iMatch with i1D2 or even i1 pro.

Are you sure you were using the latest version of Eye One Match? Is it because the iMac doesn't have the controls on the monitor for brightness that it didn't work?

Don

iMatch 3.62 is the latest AFAIK. I was able I believe to get down iMac to 149. I am not sure. IMac brightness controls is only disabled if you have a second monitor attached to it and menu bar is on that second monitor.

To tell you the truth I just did the test on iMac if I can get it down to 120 but I would never use it for anything but tools as there is crazy glare. I used to buy G5 towers and MacPros now for not retouching setup I will try 20" iMac with 24" Dell as primary monitor and iMac screen for tools.

> {quote:title=stargate wrote:}{quote}
> Rich,
>
> What do you use to calibrate your LaCie? (Software/hardware). Do you like 321 better than Apple LCDs?
>
> Derek

ColorEyes Display and a SpectroLino. Honestly, I've never worked for extended periods on an Apple LCD, so can't say for certain. I can tell you that I can easily see minute color differences on my 321 that a friend of mine cannot detect on his Apple LCDs - and he's waaaaaaaayyy pickier than I am.

rich

I have the LaCie 321, and while it is +really+ nice, as mentioned already, it tends to be on the bright side even with calibration (xrite & monaco profiler). I use it now as my second monitor. My primary monitor is an old Mitsubishshi DP2070 CRT, when calibrated properly it provides me with accurate color for my workflow.

Hi Craig,

Like you I have read about and heard of the Samsung XL20.

I even saw Samsung on a stand at a recent London print show.

The specifications seem quite good.

I too would be interested to hear if anyone has it in production?

Regards,

Dan Wilson,
G7 Expert,
Dublin,
Ireland

Ryan,

You mentioned you purchased the UltraSharp 2407WFP-HC, have you been happy with the quality for the reasonable price it sells for?

John

Hi Dan

Re the Samsung, I will have one on test at a clients later this month, so will let you know the details. Price is around £900, and they say the gamut is larger then Adobe RGB 1998, and includes ALL ISO coated v2 CMYK including solid cyan!!

Regards

Paul Sherfield

John,

Yes, I like my Dell. I couldn't to get profile it right (way too bright) with Monaco Optix XR (dtp-94) or iMatch using iOne2Display but I was successful with ColorEyes Pro and dtp-94. It's great monitor and it has a good price. I am using it in vertical orientation as most of my pics are portraits.

Ryan

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back