Goss Community water stops

AMCguy

We run a Goss Community 8 floor units and 4 deck units to give us 8 pgs of full color back to back. We use water socks with Red One water socks. We have used a neutral fountain solution and are trying a mild acid now. Color ink is US ink High strength. A one way water water system from ENHANCED OFFSET SYSTEMS, was installed years ago and the tanks were scrapped. This has worked well IF you keep the ink out of the pans. As the web width has narrowed over the years 27 1/2" to 23" I grown to dislike water stops. The problem is our current boss isn't allowing any modification to water stops. As you can see in the photos they fill with ink and then the ink floats in the pan up to the chrome pick-up and acts like another water stop and causes scumming at random areas on printed products.

IMG_20130221_232436.jpg

IMG_20130221_184117.jpg

IMG_20130221_231951.jpg

IMG_20130221_232424.jpg

Water stop photos where taken after one run of 14,000 copies.

The ends of the socks become so packed with ink they don't pick up water and when we switch to 32" paper we have to clean the socks with brushes and squirt bottles. All the ink and crap fall into the pans out of the socks and the water and pans get filthy.

I briefly got to run the press without water stops and the socks lasted much longer as we weren't scrubbing them with brushes, the water was cleaner because the ink wasn't flowing into the pan, you could run the plates drier, no ink was on the water form roller and no ink was packing into the socks. Even got it to not throw water off the plates if you watched the ramp while running.

VID_20110610_011221.mp4 Video by jeep_man_401 | Photobucket

We have a CTP and could put banding in the sides of the plates off the web to try and control water on the ends of the plates that way but not sure if that would help either. Instead of going back to the tanks spending money to buy new tank system in order to remove the ink that is now being put into the water pans by the water stops. We will go threw more socks, more ink, more water and more spoils and more web breaks from wetter plates.

The ends of the plates are covered in ink now (because the water stops) while running and water form roller gets covered in ink as well. Ends of transfer rollers and form rollers are now running dry because the ink is gone and apparently going straight into the water stops and water.

What are some opinions on running wetter plates vs dries plates? Anyone use the one way water system? Photos of your water stops would be nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20130221_232436.jpg
    IMG_20130221_232436.jpg
    694.5 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Never had the issues you speak of that severe.

I rans a Goss HV with brush rollers and a K&B with Ryco spray bars. One thing we did find crucial is to run ink roller speed at at least 30% of max speed. Closing ink keys accordingly.

This prevented ink emusification in the fountain when running narrower thab normal webs. Dampening control improved dramticaly.

Tamale

We are old school here, no ink speed control, no brushes...ours is sock material over a rubber roller. That is what becomes filled with ink where the water stops are...otherwise I wouldn't mind as the water would stay cleaner. We use a one way water system, does anyone use those? Pros and cons?

Goss Community Presses

Goss Community Presses

Hello AMCguy,

A PDF with some suggestions

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Goss Community Press.pdf
    39.6 KB · Views: 471
Hi AMCguy

As you have had success running without the water stops, try running with a 50% screen banding on the sides of the plates and no water stops. I think you will be surprised with the results. With no image on the sides of your plate, any excess ink has no choice but to end up in your water fountain. Remember to start up with minimum ink on the outer edges of the web, less chance of excess ink to oscillate outside the printing area.
I like Alois's idea for the water stops. Try it on one unit with the banding.

Regards
John

My on going fight over the use of water stops is to the boiling point. No modifications are allowed with the water stops. We use a one way water system and with full contact water stops it dries the ends of the plate and ink sticks to the plates and ends up packed into the sock ends, eventually ending up in the pan. We clean the stops and pans all the time. Very intensive labor...We have been instructed by our manager to turn the ends of ink fountain ink keys down to cut the flow of ink into the water pans. See video below.

It is my belief that the ink blade should never touch the ink ball like in the video. But it is done regularly as a means to stop ink flowing into the water pans. The water sock ends get so packed with ink that they don't even touch the chrome dampener at the ends.

Last week another pressman found "grit" on a transfer roller. After he removed it I cleaned the roller and found metal bits in the rubber. See video below.

I have worked on this press for 15 years and have never seen a roller like this before. I am at odds with my boss over where the metal came from. I believe the ink blade and ink ball. He doesn't think so, but hasn't given me any reason for it.

The next video shows our water pans and temps of the water after one run of 12,000 copies. The black unit ran fine, the magenta scummed and toned on the edges of the web. The sock gets cranked down so hard it builds heat into the water. They crank the sock down because the ends are packed with ink and they don't want to clean up until you tighten them down enough to touch the water dampener again. Which just makes the middle of the sock even tighter.

We have been given brushes and squirt bottles to clean the sock ends before we run a wider web just to clean the ink out of the socks. It's a viscous cycle that never ends and has finally showed up with metal in the rubber roller.

I want to try and run without water stops or at the very least cut them to allow some water up onto the plate, but I keep getting told no. I even tried a screen on the plate ends off the web, but the boss ran it when I wasn't there and said he got water up into the ink fountain and won't let me try it myself.

I'm at a loss of what to do or how to explain to him that the ink shouldn't be getting packed into the socks like that. It also makes it very hard to set ink with the ink blade ends so tight. Nobody seems to believe that the oscillating rollers will push ink out to the ends even if the micro roller isn't picking up ink there.

If I push too hard on this it may cost me my job at some point, but I can't stand running the press this way.

Am I wrong???

Copied from an article.
I have tried these on a commercial web press, we built our own and they did a fairly good job of replacing water stops.

Install an air bar. This air bar will act as an external water stop to balance water across the rollers. The volume of air can be regulated to needs. The air can be directionally adjusted by zones. The air must be clean, high volume, low pressure air, possibly fed from the angle bar blower. A simple valve can regulate volume. This simple add on air system will make it possible to establish a consistent flow of dampening solution into the roller train and eliminate the almost impossible conditions that exist today. I highly recommend a trial on your presses.

Years ago on a conventional dampening sheetfed I was running I fabricated an air curtain that I hung over the water pan roller. It was a length of cooper tubing with holes drilled on both ends spread out about .75 inch apart. Capped off one end of the tubing and installed a hose barb with a valve on the other end. Tapped into house air, and used hose clamps over each of the holes to cover or uncover air holes depending on sheet size. This allowed a no contact and adjustable water stop. Worked great and if I remember correctly cost about $50 bucks per unit. Fabbed up a setup for all four units on a day when we were down.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back