Greatest Rock Album of All Times

Re: Greatest Rock Album of All Times

he didn't just say what i think he did, didee?

hey, we all have our musical skeletons in our closets...dont play like you dont...

;)

>id like to see the upcoming van halen/david lee roth reunion tour, but im afraid to ask how much those tickets will be

A guy here at work is going to see 'em...for about $180 something for two tickets...More than I'd like to pay, but it'll be a good show...all old songs in the line up. Can't imagine Wolfgang will pound the Jack Daniels like Micheal Anothony did though. My Favorite VH album has always been bouncing between VH1 and 1984...All those early ones are great. I liked them with Sammy to though. And wasn't there an album with Gary Cherone or something? No, Ha Ha. That couldn't have +really+ happened. That be like Aerosmith replacing Steven Tyler with Kip Winger or something.

Yea I even remember a Video with GC singing and it sucked "more than words can say"

heh heh get it?

I'm hilarious

>Yea I even remember a Video with GC singing and it sucked "more than words can say"

That joke was +Extreme+-ly dissappointing. ;)

What!

That was pure comic gold.

Well possibly silver......

Would you settle for pewter?

I'll lay off ya, cuz I actually owned three different Extreme albums at one point. Think I might even have one of them lying around somewhere still. In my own defense, Nunu Bettoncourt is an unbelievable guitar player. He's one of those virtuosos that gets coupled with a cheesey lead singer and hence never rise above the level of wuss-rock. Vito Bratta of White Lion is another example...and Reb Beach of Winger.

...my appologies to Extreme, White Lion and Winger fans...they rule. (mike makes devil's horn gesture with thumb and two middle fingers)

I just had the one album that had the other hit...for the life of me can't remember it.

I'm thinking it was political though.

+mike makes devil's horn gesture with thumb and two middle fingers...+

h1. \m/

> {quote:title=meddington wrote:}{quote}
> I’ll lay off ya, cuz I actually owned three different Extreme albums at one point. Think I might even have one of them lying around somewhere still. In my own defense, Nunu Bettoncourt is an unbelievable guitar player. He’s one of those virtuosos that gets coupled with a cheesey lead singer and hence never rise above the level of wuss-rock. Vito Bratta of White Lion is another example...and Reb Beach of Winger.
>
> ...my appologies to Extreme, White Lion and Winger fans...they rule. (mike makes devil’s horn gesture with thumb and two middle fingers)

It was”Nuno” Bettencourt and before Extreme and Nuno they were The Dream. Hugely popular in Boston they played with Berlin Airlift featuring Rick Berlin. John Stamos had some lame show on TV about a R&R band call The Dream and bought the rights to the name, thus “The Dream” became “Extreme” (Ex-Dream). The Dream sold 3000 albums in their first week. (Have any of you sold one?) Extreme sucked.
I saw Gary Cherone the first time he ever appeared on stage. He did Queen’s Stone Cold Crazy that would have brought a tear to Freddie’s eye.
And btw, not one of have mentioned Queen as one of the greatest rock and roll bands? Obviously none of you know rock and roll. Sheer Heart Attack? Brighton Rock has one of the greatest guitar solos of all time.

>The Dream sold 3000 albums in their first week. (Have any of you sold one?)

Well, at a garage sale I sold at least two of my Extreme albums...didn't have any Dream albums to sell. Again, my appologies... when I said "cheesy lead singer" and "wuss-rock", I meant it in only the most endearing way.

I agree with you about Queen, though.

My vote goes to the genius of Frank Zappa. I nominate "One Size Fits All" by Zappa. Scorching guitar solos full of the emotion Frank brought to his music and an intricate, masterful lesson on how the wah pedal should be played on the incredicble "Inca Roads". Johnny Guitar Watson on 2 or 3 tracks, Capt Beefheart's awesome harmonica, the bass of Tom Fowler, George Duke on keyboards and Napoleon Murphy Brock on tenor sax and flute. Plus his lyrics are packed with social commentary delivered with a wicked sense of humor. It's rock at its greatest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Size_Fits_All

That was my first tape. Queen - The Game. My brother-in-law was throwing it in the trash because it was broken, and because I wanted it, we taped it back together, and it played. Still have it. Still plays.

Don

Good choice, Bob, and an insightful review. Zappa qualifies as one of the all time great rockers- a rebel, great musician and smart!

Edited by: tapdn on Sep 28, 2007 12:47 PM

Edited by: tapdn on Sep 28, 2007 12:48 PM

Thanks tap and thanks for starting an interesting thread.

By the way, I recently saw Dweezil touring with the Zappa Plays Zappa ensemble, also known as "Tour de Frank". Fantastic show. My favorites from the night were Joe's Garage, Willie the Pimp, San Ber'dino, Muffin Man, Uncle Remus and Advance Romance. Ray White was on hand to sing Illinois Enema Bandit. After seeing Frank 6 times down through the years I'm proud of Dweezil for keeping his dad's music alive and honoring it with his dedication to detail. If you're a fan, here's where you get your fix http://www.zappa.com/zpz/index.html.

My Top 5

Revolver - The Beatles
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Computer World - Kraftwerk
The Joshua Tree - U2
Meat is Murder - The Smiths

This is more like it, a list:

1) Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
2) Moody Blues - Days of Futures Past
3) David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
4) Ramones - Rocket to Russia
5) Metallica - Kill Em All

All of those albums IMHO, are the true peaks of the respective careers.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back