Hand scoring solution

Kernie

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions or knows of any hand type tools or smaller inexpensive hand-press type tool used for scoring very small quantity or proof mock-ups (digital toner based).

We have the burnishing tools etc but those tend to rub off image and usually don't go over well with the customers.

Is there a hand tool out there with a disc or wheel possibly? I used to work at a shop that had a hand-press type deal that worked ok. I've looked online but all I see is arts & crafts type stuff...

I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

The problem with your request is the idea that this tool should be inexpensive. A rolling wheel on some sort of handle seems simple enough. But you will find that they are constructed only as well as needed in the market in which they are offered.

I have been using pizza cutters for this purpose, but find that they quickly develop a wobble due to the inexpensive materials and construction. let me know if you come up with something better.

Al

For real small book jobs we use to use the clamp on the cutter as a guide and an ink knife to put the score in.

Hand Scoring

Hand Scoring

Standard Finishing Systems offers some manual scoring machines that may be suitable:
DocuCrease 35 - Standard Duplicating Machines Corporation

When you visit our website, simply put in your zip code and we'll identify a local dealer.

Good luck!

Mark
[email protected] | Print Finishing Solutions | Duplicating Machines - Standard Duplicating Machines Corporation | Mark Hunt (ThinkFinishing) on Twitter

binders | folders | saddlestitchers | collators | cutters | pre/post | inserters

We have an RB Sun HS-100 Handi Scor that we use for one-offs, or building dummies. It is not cheap but over the years has proven "priceless". Last I knew, they are around $400

The problem with your request is the idea that this tool should be inexpensive. A rolling wheel on some sort of handle seems simple enough. But you will find that they are constructed only as well as needed in the market in which they are offered.

I have been using pizza cutters for this purpose, but find that they quickly develop a wobble due to the inexpensive materials and construction. let me know if you come up with something better.

Al

A glass cutter will do better due to the small diameter of the wheel, versus a pizza cutter. They are typically NOT equipped with a sharp cutting edge, as glass is "cut" by producing crush damage along the score line.

Larry
Beta Industries

I love the DocuCreaser for efficiently scoring up to 500 or so. The problem is that it takes table space in a tiny shop.
Previously our graphics designer used a ruler and an exacto knife.
When looking for small wheel items, try a fabric shop Tracing Wheel. Those wheels are less than an inch in diameter and used to transfer tracing paper ink onto fabric. You can find some well-made ones in a quality shop.

Hand Scoring/Perfing Options

Hand Scoring/Perfing Options

We use a Scor-It-All - Large Scoring Board ($27 online)... I think it was originally for scrapbookers, but it makes a nice crease and doesn't crack the toner. We also have a Fiskars FSK95837797 - Rotary Paper Trimmer 24" ($100), but the scoring wheel makes a score that is very thin and not as nice as the Scor-It board. However the perf wheel on the Fiskars is great for small jobs!

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions or knows of any hand type tools or smaller inexpensive hand-press type tool used for scoring very small quantity or proof mock-ups (digital toner based).

We have the burnishing tools etc but those tend to rub off image and usually don't go over well with the customers.

Is there a hand tool out there with a disc or wheel possibly? I used to work at a shop that had a hand-press type deal that worked ok. I've looked online but all I see is arts & crafts type stuff...

I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!
Temporarily put the pressure clamp on your cutter in its down position. While it's there, take 2-3 pieces of chip board that are the width of what you want to score and secure these up against the closed clamp. A few pieces of tape on the cutter table should do it. Release the clamp. Use the table's backstop to position your piece exactly to where you want to score it. Now close the clamp once more and release it. The chip board will raise your piece and pinch it with enough pressure to perform a good-enough score for most small jobs.

we will score small amount on the bed of our cutter with the pressure clamp and a piece of chip board placed just to the edge of the clamp.

The cutter clamp / chipboard trick works well and is quick.

Another cheap method that will give you an excellent score is to tape a piece of Litho-Score down on a flat surface, set a thick ruler on one side taped down to guide your piece to, place the piece to be scored against your guide, use a piece of medium hard plastic (or even your thumbnail) and some pressure to give a very good score.

I have 4 methods that i use:
For single sheets u can get a rotary scorer that u can get at most art shops for <$5
There's also a similar device <$20 which is a board/matt and trimmer attached that u can change to a perf or scoring wheel - similar to THIS

Then you have something like these:
Paper Scoring Machine (Manual)
Paper Handling Equipment - Ozfold & Nagel Scorer
that retail for around $300-500
Most you can usually adjust the crease size and they won't crack the paper or print

I also have an old GW6000 machine i bought 2nd hand for about $2,000 which can score, perf and number for larger runs.

Good luck! :)

a little water goes a long way

a little water goes a long way

I recently had to score a small run of holiday cards printed on a color copier onto 90# uncoated stock. I had good results using a roller-ball gel ink pen that I emptied and filled with water. The roller ball made a nice accurate line that I could position precisely against my straightedge, while the water in the cartridge left a precisely moistened line. The swollen and softened paper fibers bent right over without cracking like the dry score did. After I misplaced that tool, I also had good results with the back of a small crochet hook, when I ran a damp Q-tip down the score before folding.

We use the Heidelberg (GTO) scoring wheel, left mounted on the 'L' shaped mounting arm. works great, but would be costly if you don't have a GTO standing around :D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back