heidelberg impression cylinder jacket replacement

Bill Rothwell

happy holidays everyone!
Can anyone tell me the procedure to remove and install a refined impression cylinder jacket on a 102 40" heidelberg perfector? also can you tell me where I can get the presser bar installing tool? is it worth buying the jacket from an after market company or from heidelberg? heidelberg wants $2400.00 for the jacket alone without installation, that's pretty steep. I have read a few forums, have a general idea how to do the job but would greatly appreciate any input. thanks, bill

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

If tou can get a Heidelberg Jacket for your cylinder thru a 3rd party you can save some money. Heidelberg will get every cent they can out of you for the part. Depending on where you are located you could try and negotiate the price down and get it installed by Heidelberg techs. I would not attempt to do it yourself unless you know what your doing. This is not the same as a transfer jacket. I f you try it yourself and muck it up, it could cost you more in the long run. Heidelberg is looking for business because they need to keep things going since they are not selling too much new iron. You might be able to find a good ex-Heidelberg tech that can do the job and he might even get you a better price on the part. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input Ret Heidelberg Instructor. I think that we're gona let heidelberg do the job, but I am very tempted to give it a try myself. I have done some extremely extensive repairs on heidelbergs over the years. Just curiuos, do you know where I could buy the "Presser Bar" tool to do this instal? Thanks again, Bill

The pressing bar used to come with the presses (especially perfectors) and a lot of times they got set aside and forgotten about and even thrown out. Check around you might have one and not even know it. It might be with some other press parts that nobody could figure out what they were used for.In hindsight you might be able to do the job if you have a bar and are careful. Some operator's do change them especially if they did perforating or slitting on the last unit. Basically you need to feed the lead edge of the jacket into the gap.It was easy to do on a GTO or an SM 52 and the customer usually ordered an extra metal jacket for that purpose so as not to ruin the refined jacket. Check on E-bay or other internet sites where people are selling off miscellaneous press parts or tools. If you have a good relationship with another printer that has one, maybe they could lend you one. To buy the part from Heidelberg you would be looking at big bucks. You wouldn't believe how many times I saw Factory blanket bars ship with a new press, and never get used because the customer chose to use pre-barred blankets. They usually ended up on a shelf in a warehouse along with the pressing bar. Hope this helps and send out some feedback on how you made out.

GTo your question about the heidelberg or another brand one, get the heidelberg jacket. While I cannot speak for all other makes, my employer saved some money on buying a cheaper one and it did not last as long. I recall chaning it again about 3 years later as the coating was missing in places.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back