Heidelberg Prinect vs. Fuji XMF

jotterpinky

We're a small shop with a 52cm press and hopes of adding a 74cm in the near future. Our main pain point right now is color management and being able to print proofs that match our presswork in addition to being able to match our digital work to our press. During our discussion with the vendors they've talked us into getting a workflow solution to complement the color management component. I've gotten competing bids from several vendors and we think we have it narrowed down to either Heidelberg Prinect or Fuji XMF. They both look like great tools that could save us a lot of steps and headaches. Has anyone else looked at either or both of these and could give me some feedback on what they liked? Didn't like? Vendor support? etc?

Ive been using XMf for about 18months now, not very happy with it. I have had a few problems when jobs are re-rendered several times ie. if the PDF has a change to it we replace the PDF in the job and re-render thats when we notice issues. It appears that the TIFF files dont get written over properly. I had a job last week where we usesd the step and repeat function I needed a 30mm gutter between 2 objects ( on the imposition file it was ok ) but when we rendered it the gutter had increased to 40 mm, normally not a problem but we were fitting to an existing die. We had updated the PDF and re-rendered it. Almost lost my job over that one!! Steer clear and go with Heidelberg.

AjR

I have been using the XMF workflow for exactly 1 year now and could not be happier with it. Color control as well as creating multiple uses from the same file has been a great time saver.

Heidelberg user for over 10 years, I have used many systems, Heidelberg SignaStation and Print ready are made for commercial printing. Support is the best in all aspects.

Another Heidelberg Printready user for 5+ years, couldn't be happier.
Support is number one, hands down.
When we looked at purchasing PDF workflow back in the day, XMF did not exist so I can not give you my 2 cents, but we evaluated other workflows and came out very impressed with Heidelberg Printready.
We tested almost all major workflows and I was using my library of "bad" files that I accumulated over the years.
Only Printready was able to process most of the files without issue and those couple of ones that would fail, Printready gave us clear message on why it failed, no mysteries.

Full blown Packaging House here, and The Heidelberg workflow is amazing. 6 years now and it's a pleasure to work with.
Excellent Support. We do have a full blown service contract, yes its expensive but than again what isn't now-a-days.

We have the Packaging option and i have demo'd the Packaging Pro option Twice, (once when we first installed the sys, and again last year to see if there were any new features) . GOOD STUFF THERE!! The only reason we haven't purchased the PRO option is because we have a full blown CADD dept that takes care of carton designs, edits and layouts. Otherwise the Pro option is very powerful and would be a no brainer if needed.

The only thing i feel is a little clunky is when you need to use the trapping plug-in to edit traps. The automatic trapping does work great, its the few times, (very few) when you need to go in there and fine tune something. I highly recommend HB.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back