Help! AB Dick 9850 Envelope printing

Louiscamp

I'm pretty new to printing offset on this AB Dick 9850, only 2 years. Never had a problem like this printing envelopes. When printing them the flaps are opening and creasing. I noticed that the flap is opening before going into the rollers and creasing.

I've tightened the guides up, I've loosened the guides. May clear up for a while, but boom, back to doing it again.

I'm ready to push the press into traffic!

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!

Lou

Turn off your air and try running with the pile as low as it will go. Also move the envelope in the feeder to the left or right to see if feeding improves. If it does I believe there is a side to side adjustment on the plate clamp. If not you can trim one side of the plate so it punches off center. The flap is probably getting stuck on one of the impression fingers on the feeder. You may need to find a sweet spot so the flaps dont open

I'm pretty new to printing offset on this AB Dick 9850, only 2 years. Never had a problem like this printing envelopes. When printing them the flaps are opening and creasing. I noticed that the flap is opening before going into the rollers and creasing.

I've tightened the guides up, I've loosened the guides. May clear up for a while, but boom, back to doing it again.

I'm ready to push the press into traffic!

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!

Lou

What kind of envelopes are we talking here? Regular no. 10's, no. 9's, 9x12 open end or open side 10x13 open end or side? Where are you gripping them at on the flap or tail or on the side?

Do you squeeze the tops of the envelopes before putting them in the feeder ? It may help to crease the flap fold so they lay flatter.

jmtc...

#10's, side grip.

Hmm. That's the same way we run them and, I have to admit, I've never seen this happen. Only thing I can think of is too much air blast to seperate the envelopes. I run my air practically off. Also, make sure your tapes are to the extreme outside of the edges with out the guide pushing the tapes inward. And always push/guide so the you're pushing with the flap on the far side keeping it closed. Pushing it the other way might cause this if the flap catches on the inside tape. Hope that makes sense without a diagram. I'd love to come see this happen to help you diagnose the problem. Good luck!

turn the buckle down and or move the envelope side to side and see where the buckle wheels (rubber wheels on backof press) are hitting the envelope

The thread is 30 days old, but...
Common occurence on my 9810 - one day might be fine, but for the most part, it's a common occurence.
I make plates for guys who run their envelopes flap first. I can't expect they deliver well, but they swear by it.

Definitely turn your air down. There's so much air in envelopes out of the box, you shouldn't need much, if any to run them. You only need 3 grippers. I usually run the bailer at the 3rd hole, this is on my 360 and 9810.

It shouldn't be a common occurrence. It's happens to me every now and then and can get frustrating at times, but it just takes moving things around till you can get it in it's sweet spot.

Envelope feeding on 360

Envelope feeding on 360

Definitely turn your air down. There's so much air in envelopes out of the box, you shouldn't need much, if any to run them. You only need 3 grippers. I usually run the bailer at the 3rd hole, this is on my 360 and 9810.

It shouldn't be a common occurrence. It's happens to me every now and then and can get frustrating at times, but it just takes moving things around till you can get it in it's sweet spot.

I left the printing business for 12 years and now I am running an AB Dick 360. When running #10 envelopes we would put a rubber band on the pile height adjustment to make it feed better and now I can't remember how to do this. Would you happen to know? Thanks. [email protected]

Move the feed pile toward the operator side. Adjust the pile using the fingers as a visual guide. You want the press fingers completely on the envelope. Don't split the fingers on the envelope, you want to be completely on the envelope.

You may want to lessen the load on your feed table. Don't max out the feed table with envelopes. The more envelopes you add the bigger the curve you get....causing more difficultly when feeding.

I know there's an aftermarket product for the 360. I don't recall what it was called but it was a plastic piece with a spring and plunger on it. It attached to the operator side on wall of the feed table. Years ago when running the 360 I saw this on the press and moved it to see what it would do. At the time I had no idea what this piece was. It actually worked. Whatever this piece is it inhibited the feed bar allowing the suctions finger to pick up the envelopes instead of bouncing off the envelope. I was maxing out the feed table with #10 envelopes. I am not sure if this part works for the 9850. It would be worth looking into since the feed table are pretty much the same. Part of the problem you may be having is the suction fingers may not be holding the envelope properly when feeding. Or the feed bar is weighing down the envelope while feeding.

This is the experience I had with #9 and #10 envelopes many eons ago.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back