Help choosing our next press

xgeekx

I've been pouring over specs, brochures, and forums for a while now but most threads are specific to print shops. We are not a print shop, but printing is central to what we do. We manufacture pin back buttons. We are currently running a dc240. However, we run into a lot of color issues even with regular calibration with the spectrometer. We've replaced just about every part of the machine. Our jobs need to be reproducible since most of our customers are repeats. I was looking intod the 560 and the 700 as possible options. We generally only print on two stocks of paper so we aren't concerned with a lot of the bells and whistles. Speed is not critical either. Our major drivers are cost, print quality, and color accuracy and consistency . Any advice or anocodotes would be appreciated.

The 700 isn't the greatest at consistency. However, any digital machine benefits from a climate controlled atmosphere, which we don't have. Not only temperature, but humidity and dust control bring out the best.

That being said, these machines are individuals. Any model has a few machines that just won't cooperate.

I will say that the wax-based toner on the 700 doesn't look so hot sometimes on coated stocks, if that's what you're running. Sometimes it looks like somebody colored the paper with crayon. You might want to look at a few models and their output before making a decision. Get some of your own files printed as samples if you can to compare.

The 700 isn't the greatest at consistency. However, any digital machine benefits from a climate controlled atmosphere, which we don't have. Not only temperature, but humidity and dust control bring out the best.

That being said, these machines are individuals. Any model has a few machines that just won't cooperate.

I will say that the wax-based toner on the 700 doesn't look so hot sometimes on coated stocks, if that's what you're running. Sometimes it looks like somebody colored the paper with crayon. You might want to look at a few models and their output before making a decision. Get some of your own files printed as samples if you can to compare.

Thank you for the candid reply. We generally do not print on coated stock. Our presses do not function well on anything over 24lb, and some of the sizes require 22lb and adding coated just gunks up the works even more. Our facility is climate controlled, if the humidity is too high, and the paper absorbs too much moisture it causes issue for us.

Sounds to met like the 560 with a spectrophotometer would work for you. Keep in mind that you have to calibrate frequently if you are picky. As the drums and other parts wear and as the climate changes colors can drift. I always calibrate before any critical job.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back