Help for classicmac

rande

I understand we need classicmac to get to ftp sites.
We have a site set up on one of our computers and it seems our clients
need classicmac to access it. I've downloaded the software and can't get
it to work. When I drag a file to the site it says it can't be modified.

thanks

Sorry didn't understand is "classicmac" an ftp program? there are lotts of ftp programs for mac.
Usually on the ftp programs the problem is if you have a server requiring passive ftp, and you forget to click the setting.
I use RBrowser, works fine know there are others like fetch, transmit and a firefox plugg called fireftp just to mention a few.

I don't know what you mean by passive ftp, is that a prefs setting?
I tried the user..etc in safari; same thing.
I can get to it just can't drop files on; "can't modify"
Any other ideas?

thanks for the responses.

I understand we need classicmac to get to ftp sites.
We have a site set up on one of our computers and it seems our clients
need classicmac to access it. I've downloaded the software and can't get
it to work. When I drag a file to the site it says it can't be modified.

thanks

Hi Rande. Is the site on a Mac? PC? Server?

Kind regards,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

If you don't have right to modify look at your permissions settings

If you don't have right to modify look at your permissions settings

If the site uses Passive FTP, which is common in older sites then in your client FTP software you will have a checkbox:
Picture 49.jpg

Sometimes not being able to cnnect can be firewalls disabeling ftp.

Its on a PC server.
And the client is coming from a Mac, and as far as I know macs
don't have firewall.
We had an IT company set it up and they're telling me that
Mac users need this classicmac to get in.
I was trying to figure it out myself; they might charge.
thanks for the responses
any other ideas would be nice.

If you like me to try and send me a test account I can tell you if the IT people are right or wrong, my guess is they are wrong, which means one could question their proficiency. (if you like mail me off forum)
I do not know of any FTP configuration that would require classic mac.
The macs do have firewalls, but I mean just ordinary hardware firewalls that are a normal part of company infrastructure.
It would be simple to test just take a windows machine and connect it to the same TCPIP soccet and see if you can connect, if not then the operating system is not the issue.

sounds like an IT company that doesn;t like macs (understand them). I have this problem all the time

ajr

I don't know what you mean by passive ftp, is that a prefs setting?
I tried the user..etc in safari; same thing.
I can get to it just can't drop files on; "can't modify"
Any other ideas?

thanks for the responses.

It sounds like a permissions problem. You have to log in as a user that has been granted read and write access. If you are logging in via Safari you can't. It logs in as read only. You can copy from it but not to it. Download Cyberduck and have a go at it.

Cyberduck | FTP, SFTP, WebDAV & Amazon S3 Browser for Mac OS X.

Hi Rande, here are some questions...

1. Is the server a Windows server?
2. If so, is your "site" just a folder being shared?
3. If so, is the folder shared out for both Windows AND Mac?
4. If so, bring up the list of shares under Computer Management and find the MAC share for your "site" and double-click it. There is a checkbox at the bottom of the window that says "Volume is Read Only". Uncheck it.

Does this help?
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

If the site uses Passive FTP, which is common in older sites then in your client FTP software you will have a checkbox:
View attachment 17

Sometimes not being able to cnnect can be firewalls disabeling ftp.

Sorry I didn't notice your attachment. I tried clicking off and on those setting. Nothing.
I noticed at home that when I put in the FTP address it jumps to Firefox. I tried firefox also, so I'm not sure its just Safai.
Cyberduck is to large for me to download at home, I'll try Monday.
Thanks for the responses; I need to figure something out here.

Hi Rande, here are some questions...

1. Is the server a Windows server?
2. If so, is your "site" just a folder being shared?
3. If so, is the folder shared out for both Windows AND Mac?
4. If so, bring up the list of shares under Computer Management and find the MAC share for your "site" and double-click it. There is a checkbox at the bottom of the window that says "Volume is Read Only". Uncheck it.

Does this help?
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

Okay thanks I'll try that.

If you like me to try and send me a test account I can tell you if the IT people are right or wrong, my guess is they are wrong, which means one could question their proficiency. (if you like mail me off forum)
I do not know of any FTP configuration that would require classic mac.
The macs do have firewalls, but I mean just ordinary hardware firewalls that are a normal part of company infrastructure.
It would be simple to test just take a windows machine and connect it to the same TCPIP soccet and see if you can connect, if not then the operating system is not the issue.

Got some good ideas here but I can't get it to work without cyberduck.
The FTP server is win 2000; I can't find; share>comp mang> to click off of "volume is read only"

I found passive FTP, it was clicked on. I messed with that for a while, that didn't work.

My boss would like our clients not to need to use a utility if possibe. I already had idisk.

any other ideas of whats wrong?
thanks

If you want it simple for the client?

If you want it simple for the client?

My boss would like our clients not to need to use a utility if possibe. I already had idisk

I would see about getting rumpus (maxum.com) or some other ftp that has a configurable http interface. It comes at a price, but then so does your time ;P

Sorry, I ended up finding the "volume is read only."
It was clicked off.

If using Safari your only option when logging into an FTP site is "Read Only". It's setup that way in the Safari and as far as I know there is no work around. And it doesn't matter what FTP server the site you are logging into is running. It's READ ONLY when using Safari.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back