Help in choosing A1 Printer

corelon

Hi all, writing this from Dublin, Ireland. i am looking for an A1 printer which will not only print very high quality on paper but also on Canvas. I would really appreciate a few peoples opinions.As this will be an investment and i don't want to be throwing money down the drain..

Thanks in advance guys,,,

Re: Help in choosing A1 Printer

Hey Don,
Most folks doing fine art (giglee and that sounds like what you are after), here in Australia are using Epson 44" (A0 but you need extra canvass around an image for stretching) printers. 9600/9800. The new Epson 1180 (64") might even be worth considering.

Your other main choices are HP (thermal inkjet - vs- piezo on Epson) and Canon. Canon claim a wider gamut as they use 12 colours but I've yet to see that proven in the market - Epson's multiple blacks make a huge difference not just for mono reproduction but in midtones for colour too. (Black, Photo Black, Light Black, Light-Light Black!)
Roland make a pretty good art printer too - using Epson printheads. So does Mimaki.

But the support environment for art repro and photography around Epson is much better than the others both in software (3rd party) and knowledge on how to control the droplets which is what it is all about.

Having said all that, they are all good. HP does all the art repro for (I think) the Tate Gallery in London, e.g.

So get the best deal you can, chose the right driving software and check out the kind of support -especially on colour management - you are going to get.

That'll cost ye a Guiness!

Re: Help in choosing A1 Printer

Mate, I run a giclee house in England. I have 15 x HPZ6100's, 7 x Epson 10600's & 10 x HP5500's. We do loads of the work for London gallery exhibitions. We pump out around 7000 prints per week. We've found the HPZ6100 coupled with a GMG colourproof workflow just the job. They can handle paper (matt & photo) as well as German Etching and shed loads of canvas. Multi machine colour consistancy is finally here and banding is history.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back