Help me choose: Printer + CIS + White ink + Transparency

craziedde

My background in printing is none.
I'm looking to print transparent business cards + transparent key tags

1. Recommend printer.
    Budget upto $1000, standard office size.
    Has to print white ink. I know there is seems to be an issue with white ink so...
    Can I swap some color to white ink? ( assuming I'm using CIS )
    Printer also needs to be comparable with good CIS
    Printing heads need to be easy maintainable and extremely cleanable ( as white ink seems to clog them constantly )
    Also compatible with transparent printing
  2. Recommend good CIS
    based on printer recommended.
  3. Transparency paper
    Inkjet printable and laminatable. What paper should I use
  4. Small Corner rounder - upto $1000, manual or auto.
    not total junk but something that worth the money spend.

Thanks,

Eduard

First question: are you getting into the business of selling these cards or is this a one time run that will occasionally be ran again? If it is the occasional run I would recommend finding a printer or jobber that knows what they are doing and have the proper setup and going that route.

If you are looking at getting into this for profit to do on a regular basis your going to have to get a bigger budget, until then refer to the first part of this answer. Be picky with your printer, I've seen several that say they can do this but in the end they attempt what it sounds like your trying and a poor product is the result. Most quick printers and small commercial walk-in printers job this stuff out to wholesale companies.

Best of luck if you do get it down post back on here and let me know that I'm wrong. Ideally for what you describe you need a budget ten times that to get into the market with "decent used" equipment and that is only if you can find it. I'm not trying to be rude, just honest. It also helps to have a background in printing with digital media. Good luck.

4StatePrinting thanks for honest option ( in no way brutal but rather refreshing and constrictive )

I will try to answer your question in best of my ability

1. Why getting into this?
    Yes, this is a one time gig for my wife and me ( she does cosmetics , and I have a few needs for those )
    But I consider this rather a practice to get my feet wet. As I see some potential in transparent type prints.

2. ...It also helps to have a background in printing with digital media...
    I understand and agree. But my first job is designer so that helps..

3. Need for bigger budget.
    At the moment I might just drop the expensive parts of this project ( white ink for example )
    And simply design without whites.. ( which is possible )
    Nevertheless I'm always looking for better options.
    I have not even seen a white ink suppler.... never mind the CIS compatible with white ink.
    So aside from white ink.
    Printer + CIS what should I go with?
    I'm not looking for wide formats... Just a standard legal size..
    Inkjet ( workhorse ) + CIS ( best ) + transparencies ( laminatable )

Thanks,

Eduard

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back