Help with Quark

Re: Help with Quark

Good try Joe, but I don't think you'll find an answer to that query anyplace.

I'd give ya a gold star for effort, but no idea how to on this site.

Never had an issue here with 1.6 PDF in Quark. What exactly is the problem you are seeing?

> {quote:title=rmstorm wrote:}{quote}
> Never had an issue here with 1.6 PDF in Quark. What exactly is the problem you are seeing?
Joe, you have finally found The Holy Grail

> {quote:title=doubting_thomas wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=rmstorm wrote:}{quote}
> > Never had an issue here with 1.6 PDF in Quark. What exactly is the problem you are seeing?
> Joe, you have finally found The Holy Grail
LOL...we'll see about that! ;)

am i allowed to say indesign in a quack forum?

i'm not actually SAYING indesign - i'm just asking if I CAN say indesign

if I COULD say indesign then I might reply with something like - do it in indesign....

[email protected] change man - never ever change.

You may be able to place it but you wont get any transparency in your output file.
Quark will flatten it when it makes it's internal PS file before using the JAWS library to convert it into PDF.

exactly.

the answer to the question is it wont work

you could try to pdf out of indy to a 1.3, or pdf out of acrobat again to a 1.3, but it will all be flattened and ruined (potentially)

but then he knows that anyway - dontya mate!

Yes, I agree, that the transparency will be flattened at some point with a PDF 1.6 placed in Quark. But so will a PDF 1.6 out of InDesign or Acrobat that eventually hits a RIP. And the printed piece, post RIP, will look the same regardless which of the 3 programs you choose to use. Of course, one has to be careful about when and how one flattens transparency. But the original quesetion was can PDF 1.6 placed in Quark and the answer is yes!

not strictly true

new versions of rips have the pdf print engine and will render/rip it correctly

i just pdf'd from illy cs3 - 1.6 - would not import into quack 7.3

maybe i'll distill it then place it in - which will possibly screw up the transparency anyway - so the question is - a 1.6 with transparency

and if you can - quack only uses postscript so you cant even keep the transparency live to the new rip/pdf print engine

At the end of the day, the new RIPs with PDF Print Engine are still flattening transparency.

Again, PDF 1.6 can be placed in Quark. It is not always necessary or even ideal so workarounds are required particularly as you note with how Quark handles transparency.

So we can agree that Quark/PDF 1.6 may not the best solution but I stress the final printed piece will look the same - if you do it right.

Edited by: Randy on Aug 31, 2007 12:15 PM

Edited by: Randy on Aug 31, 2007 12:21 PM

Any PDF that is above 1.3 is iffy with Quark. You may be able to place it...you may not. In my experience I cannot place any PDF that has been exported from InDesign. Also in my experience you cannot output correctly if you do get a PDF into Quark that contains transparency. I have a customer that has figured out a way to place a PDF with transparency into a Quark document. They don't display or print correctly but they do show an image of sorts on the page and they are listed in the links. The problem is that he is supplied these PDF's with transparency, has no control over how they are sent to him, has no knowledge of how to fix them, and then expects us (the printer) to fix them so they print correctly. Oh yeah, he doesn't want to be charged for this either because Quark told him he could place PDF's into his document. The silence from Quark over this issue is deafening.

Actually, new RIPs with the Adobe PDF Print Engine are not "flattening transparency" in the same sense that Acrobat flattens transparency when creating PostScript or that the old PDFtoPS component of the Adobe CPSI-based RIPs output PDF with live transparency. The Adobe PDF Print Engine reconciles transparency as part of the rendering process at device resolution and device color.

The issue of "early transparency flattening" is that traditional transparency flattening, whether done as part of the PDF placement process in QuarkXPress or the output process of any application going directly to PostScript or a PDF version less than PDF 1.4, requires up-front knowledge of the device resolution and colorspaces to properly flatten. Items with pre-flattened transparency are very limited in terms of repurposing, especially with regards to scaling.

The workflows that are potentially most reliable are those in which content is maintained at the highest level of abstraction (including device resolution and color space issues) until final rendering (RIPing).

- Dov

The best way I've found to deal with late model PDFs in Quark is to save them as an EPS out of Acrobat.

Save As and choose EPS from the menu then click on settings and set PS language level, font embedding, preview type and transparency flattening before saving the file. Your exact settings will vary depending on your RIP.

It's not exactly the same a placing a PDF, but it's a whole lot safer.

Shawn

> {quote:title=Shawn wrote:}{quote}
> The best way I've found to deal with late model PDFs in Quark is to save them as an EPS out of Acrobat.
>
> Save As and choose EPS from the menu then click on settings and set PS language level, font embedding, preview type and transparency flattening before saving the file. Your exact settings will vary depending on your RIP.
>
> It's not exactly the same a placing a PDF, but it's a whole lot safer.
>
> Shawn

My customer only has Quark and Acrobat Reader. I know how to fix them but he doesn't want us to have to do it. He wants to do it himself. With Quark. The company that told him he could do it.

I can't join the InDesign vs Quark battle because I'm trapped in the 20th century of equipment and apps. I work in OS 9.2.2 with QXP 4.11, AI 9.0.3, PS 6.0.2 and Distiller 4. For my use I can never import client ad files directly anyway, so if I get a PDF it gets rebuilt. But, when I use transparency in AI, like an opacity mask, I pre-flatten before it ever goes in my Quark layout. Since I find AI 9's Flattening Transparency feature hinky and unpredictable, I usually select the relevant objects and rasterize them, possibly copy/pasting the result to PS to add noise when needed, saving, then replacing the image in AI. But, all nice and flat pre-QXP. Yeah, maybe I'm working my a** off for chump change, but I get 'er done.

I have no idea what Quark told your client, or what info your client told Quark. If your client really only has Quark and Reader to work with (no other apps), then he needs to require PDF 1.3 (or X-1a?) or flattened EPS from those sending him files. Yes?

My respectful 2 cents,
inez

> {quote:title=inez wrote:}{quote}
> I have no idea what Quark told your client, or what info your client told Quark. If your client really only has Quark and Reader to work with (no other apps), *then he needs to require PDF 1.3 (or X-1a?) or flattened EPS from those sending him files.* Yes?
>
> My respectful 2 cents,
> inez

I agree but he has no control, according to him, over what his advertisers send him.

I see this as a problem that is only going to get worse for Quark users. But hey, if they want to keep fightin' it, I can keep fixin' it for them. (And charge them of course at which point I'd probably mention if they had got InDesign they wouldn't be having this problem.)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back