Help with Xerox Workcentre booklet printing

jdr999

Hi guys,

I've got a Xerox 7775 with saddle stitch booklet finisher and am new to booklet printing.

The booklet feature in Xerox seems to be designed for standard 1up documents. It'll shrink down a normal page, rotate it, and place it in the proper page order 2up with a bifold and staple.

I can't find a way to print a booklet already laid out 2up with fold and staple though. Am I missing something simple? There has to be an easy way to print these, no....?

Thanks!
Joe

PDF from computer.

I was able to print a straight copy then run it through the feeder with fold & staple but I couldn't figure out how to do it straight from a PDF. And to make matters worse we figured out that the job was designed in color to look B&W. It naturally had a full range of colors that didn't play nice in the feeder set to B&W......

If you have it laid out already, you want to ignore the booklet features altogether. You just want to set to duplex, fold and staple. Are you using command workstation?

No, this machine has no fiery.

The print driver won't let me do a bifold and staple unless I'm in booklet mode... Awesome, eh?

that is strange, I would think it could do it with just the print driver. There is no saddle stitch option?

I just tried to do what your saying with our 7556, and it appears you are correct. I guess you could break the pages up and let it re-build the booklet.

Sounds like it is something it should be able to do. Have you tried contacting Xerox technical support and see what they say?

I just tried to do what your saying with our 7556, and it appears you are correct. I guess you could break the pages up and let it re-build the booklet.
That's what we've been doing by hand in InDesign which is quite time consuming.

Is there an inexpensive, automated way to convert 2up pdf pages to 1up?

That's what we've been doing by hand in InDesign which is quite time consuming.

Is there an inexpensive, automated way to convert 2up pdf pages to 1up?

Enfocus PitStop Pro 12 has Action Lists that can do this (Split pages wider than…) - http://www.enfocus.com/en/pitstop-pro-12/

I believe that Callas pdfToolBox also has a “deimpose” option that does similar - http://www.callassoftware.com/callas/doku.php/en:products:pdftoolbox

Devalipi ImpositionStudio can also split spreads to singles - www.devalipi.com/moreinfois.html

Cyphia Architect PDF Toolbox can do this with the “divide” function - http://cyphia.com/v/?p=89

I am sure that there are other solutions out there as well. Good luck!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks.

It looks like I'm going to have to add Pitstop Pro to our toolbox.

Enfocus PitStop Pro should probably be in everybody’s toolbox if they work with PDF files (how many “print ready” PDF files are actually print ready?).

Until then, the PDF Toolbox product from Cyphia Architect can’t be beaten on price (for a limited time). Imposition Studio from Devalapi is also reasonably priced if you have modest imposition requirements that can’t be handled by your printer’s software.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Actually, it seems I don't need full imposition software at all.

I just need something that can convert spreads into single pages while keeping the page order intact. That's all.

Pitstop Pro can split pages, but can't retain the proper page order.

Anything simple that can?

Thanks!
Joe

Actually, it seems I don't need full imposition software at all.

I just need something that can convert spreads into single pages while keeping the page order intact. That's all.

Pitstop Pro can split pages, but can't retain the proper page order.

Anything simple that can?

Thanks!
Joe

You could do this with simple imposition software that uses templates. Build single page templates and offset the printer’s spreads as required in each template. You would have a 4pp template, 8pp, 12pp, 16pp etc.

When a different job comes in, simply swap out the PDF input in the same template.

Again, look into the Devalapi Imposition Studio software that I previously mentioned, in addition to other PDF imposition software to see what works best for you.

Stephen Marsh

In addition to the methods listed in my previous post quoted below, I can now offer an Acrobat Pro X Action and JavaScript based alternative:

http://prepression.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/acrobat-pro-splitting-readers-spreads.html

This Acrobat Pro X method will duplicate existing page order and crop odd/even pages as required, as in turning readers spreads into single pages, retaining the page order:

1+2, 3+4 A3 readers spreads would result in 1, 2, 3, 4 A4 single pages.

This general approach can also be used with Acrobat Pro 8> using Batch Processing (which became Actions in X).

Stephen Marsh

Enfocus PitStop Pro 12 has Action Lists that can do this (Split pages wider than…) - Enfocus PitStop 12, now available

I believe that Callas pdfToolBox also has a “deimpose” option that does similar - PDF Production toolkit, standalone or inside Acrobat [callas software]

Devalipi ImpositionStudio can also split spreads to singles - Easiest Ever PDF Imposition Software for Digital & Offset Printing Presses

Cyphia Architect PDF Toolbox can do this with the “divide” function - PDF Toolbox | Cyphia Architect

I am sure that there are other solutions out there as well. Good luck!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back