Hi, semi-new here

CathieH

Hi there.

I'm Cathie H. and I joined this group a couple of months ago, asking questions right off the bat. So I thought it was about time to introduce myself.

I've been in the graphic design/marketing/communications/commercial art/printing fields for over 30 years and at one time was a the manager of a pre-press shop, where we output film for printers, as well as plates, etc. We also had a Xerox Docucolor and did small print jobs for our customers as well. That company turned completely to print, the ower realizing how the offset printing field was dying and making a living outputting film wasn't going to cut it. That's when I really started getting my hands dirty into prepress. I was always very knowledgeable with Quark, InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, so that fit in well with what we were doing. As soon as we became a printshop, my boss turned into a...well...printshop owner - the really, really bad kind, and I was told daily how stupid I was and that all prepress should only take two hours a day. I left.

Got a great job as a graphic designer with a big company that moved to Florida and was laid off in 2009. I was unemployed for two years, and two years to the day from when I was laid off, I started at the job I am now - copy center operator for a company I worked for 11 years ago. They hired me to come in and change everything - use new technology, streamline, bring in new work from inside the company, etc. I love this job and I believe I'll just retire from here. I've got a great big beautiful workspace that overlooks a golf course with big windows on two of the three walls (the third wall being my paper shelving), a new KM C6501, an old KM 1050 (that the guy I replaced hated but I love - what a workhorse), a cube and my boss is so hands-off that I sometimes only see her two or three times a week. But she's there when I need her and is great.

So, that's my story. Sorry if I left out anything important - I just felt it was time I introduced myself since it looks like I'm gonna stay a while. :)

Take care!
Cathie

You did leave out two important pieces of info. What part of the country are you in? and Are you hiring any additional staff? LOL. Welcome to the group. We're not really all smartasses (just a good majority). You almost have to be in this business.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back