Hot Foil over Spot UV & double-sided Spot UV

ReflexBlueHorror

Happy new year fellow PrintPlanetarians. I'm coming at this from the graphic design side, unable to find literature on these matters... Is it possible (or undesirable) to hot foil over Spot UV? Has it been done before? Will it be done again? Is Spot UV ever done double-sided?

We regularly do double sided spot UV
Foil is notoriously temperamental when other treatments are applied underneath
I would lean towards foiling first then UV over the foil where possible

I've seen "silk foil" by Prudente
but the setup is quite different. I'm thinking more of how mirror-finish foil can be achieved on lightly textured stocks. I've seen glazed embossing but not heard of it being done simultaneously with foil.

If you want foils to stick onto UV coatings, or any coatings for that matter you will need the Dyne count to be over 36. You will also want to try several different foil formulations because the chemistry in the sizing (adhesive) varies from formula to formula. Finding a foil that likes your UV coating is key. You can call me to discuss. Brian Bowland, Great Western Foils, 805-375-4336.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back