How do I remove 'Illustrator title' from PDF

Magnus

Hi all,

We got a enoying problem that I would love if you guys could help me get rit of.

When we RIP some PDF's from our client we get a different filename in our RIP (Fuji XMF) than the actual filename. We have located the problem to Illustrator PDFs. Now we just need to be able to remove this illustrator title so that our RIP uses the filename instead.
I'v tried to do this in Pitstop Pro 08 (we also using Pitstop Server 08) without success.

I know that theres a pitstop action that says 'remove title' but the illustrator title remains.

Im adding a screenshot were you can se the title.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 207
What happens if you just delete that line in the same text editor? Does it then rip and image properly?

If so, then you just need a script to process all your similar files.

Al

<snip />Im adding a screenshot were you can se the title.

The information highlighted in your screen shot is just a DSC comment in some PostScript embedded within the PDF (as data associated with a stream object). Changing the highlighted line will have no effect on your PDF file whatsoever.

Tell us more about what you mean by "title."

What happens if you just delete that line in the same text editor? Does it then rip and image properly?

If so, then you just need a script to process all your similar files.

Al

Yes, when delete the title line in my text editor the RIP uses the file name.

It would be great if I could just add an action to my preflight in Pitstop Server since all our PDFs are processed there anyway. I really don't want an extra step since most of our workflows is automated.

What happens if you just delete that line in the same text editor?

Just as a FWIW...

PDF files, while ASCII coded, are considered binary files. One cannot simply whack content with a text editor without properly updating a litany of byte offset values in the cross reference table. One could pad things (out) to account for the (umm) loss of space associated with removed content but that only works when the net result of alteration is reduction of data. Growing the footprint of content *requires* updating the cross reference table.

Machines that work PDF usually insert new, potentially redundant, material to the end of a COS tree (in a PDF) and then mark the old content's reference in the cross reference table as unused (or repointed) and then add a new entry to the cross reference table to describe the location of the new element. Other changes may be required (e.g., COS object "relative" linkage) at times.

Last edited:
Hi Magnus,

Using the software you have, you could go to Document/Examine Document/ in Acrobat. Then click the remove button. This should remove the meta data which includes your Title info.

There are other third party solutions which can do this.

Greg

Hi Magnus,

Using the software you have, you could go to Document/Examine Document/ in Acrobat. Then click the remove button. This should remove the meta data which includes your Title info.

There are other third party solutions which can do this.

Greg

Thanks Greg, that worked! But as said, I would like to do this in Pitstop Server. Could any Enfocus people give me a hand here?

Greg, what other software could do this with ie hotfolders?

Do you need the title? We used to have similar problems, when we had OPI links, there should be an action to strip OPI links (You're not using PDFx1a or PDFx/4 are you, cause they don't let you do OPI and so you don't get that kind of stuff. Is it x5 that allows OPI, o long since I needed to know.)
Worse is if you need the OPI but want it re-written, but as the others are implying if you have a pattern it can be scripted/automated.

Test File

Test File

Hi Magnus

can you let me have a test file and we'll test it and get back to you.

you can mail it to me at [email protected]

You could always have sent a message straight to Enfocus support, not sure if you tried that line of attack first?

regards

abc

Do you need the title? We used to have similar problems, when we had OPI links, there should be an action to strip OPI links (You're not using PDFx1a or PDFx/4 are you, cause they don't let you do OPI and so you don't get that kind of stuff. Is it x5 that allows OPI, o long since I needed to know.)
Worse is if you need the OPI but want it re-written, but as the others are implying if you have a pattern it can be scripted/automated.

No Lukas , I want to remove the title in meta-/postscript-data. See the screenshot. No OPI involved. The PDFs are created in Illustrator. Our RIP are using the Illustrator-title instead of the filename which is a big problem in our workflow. So you could say that it is actually a RIP-problem. But a solution would be to remove the 'Illustrator title' in some efficient way in our workflow (pitstop server, XMF or similar).

Hi Magnus

can you let me have a test file and we'll test it and get back to you.

you can mail it to me at [email protected]

You could always have sent a message straight to Enfocus support, not sure if you tried that line of attack first?

regards

abc

Thanks Andrew! I'v sent you an email.

No I didn't send an email to the Enfocus support since I use to get so many good inputs here.

Fixed

Fixed

Just to close the thread for any future searches, the action 'Remove Metadata' fixed the issue.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back