How does your Studio work?

j4yt33

Hi,

I'm looking to find out if any of you use a log in system on your computers.

Our Reprographics studio currently has 5 macs and 5 mac operators. We will very shortly be taking on a 6th mac operator, therefore 6 people will be sharing 5 macs.

Is there a way we can each have our own log in on all macs, allowing us to be able to log in and have any mac set up the way we like it. Same Illustrator layout, same files on my desktop, same desktop picture etc.

This sounds simple and I know colleges and universities have this setup, but I can't seem to find a solid answer potentially pointing towards a company that can supply it.

I hope this all makes sense.

Any feed back would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks
James

Hi, I am not that savvy on Mac but I think you need to create two users and share desktop, document etc folders, so every single user can use these folders

Hi,

I'm looking to find out if any of you use a log in system on your computers.

Our Reprographics studio currently has 5 macs and 5 mac operators. We will very shortly be taking on a 6th mac operator, therefore 6 people will be sharing 5 macs.

Is there a way we can each have our own log in on all macs, allowing us to be able to log in and have any mac set up the way we like it. Same Illustrator layout, same files on my desktop, same desktop picture etc.

This sounds simple and I know colleges and universities have this setup, but I can't seem to find a solid answer potentially pointing towards a company that can supply it.

I hope this all makes sense.

Any feed back would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks
James

You can create individual user accounts on the Macs. This would give you things like your own personalized desktop. I haven't looked at things like configuring email accounts for each user.

As to the applications, each operator could export his/her workspace setup for each application and then load them on each of the other stations. Might be more efficient to have a meeting and decide on some standard workspace layouts.

Most large environments work from disk images to ensure that all workstations are configured identically. Standardization is more efficient to load and maintain.

Invest in a mac mini server, I'm not an IT expert but I think you can set up accounts on that and have virtual desktops bit like windows, easy to manage and control backups.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back