How Many Make-Ready Sheets

On average, assuming properly calibrated plates and ink presets, how many sheets does it take your pressman to get at or near a color match during the make-ready stage?

Thanks
Jim

Hi jim
there are lots of variables , but as long as all components of the press are in order you would expect 200sheets, but it would depend on the type of work run length.
Hope this helps. regards johnyprint

Depends on the quality needed and how difficult the job is but for standard work say 5K w/t run (10K imps) 150-200 sheets to get to sellable colour, registered within second pull.

if youve got say a 1K imp job obviously youll need to get colour closer before you 'tab it'.

Depends on the quality needed and how difficult the job is but for standard work say 5K w/t run (10K imps) 150-200 sheets to get to sellable colour, registered within second pull.

if youve got say a 1K imp job obviously youll need to get colour closer before you 'tab it'.

Agreed.. sometimes more sometimes less... When we are running long run (500,000+ W/T), i will start it rolling at idle, having profiled before plating up, make some minor adjustments if required, check square + centred, then pull the trigger...50-100 sheets maybe and a couple of minutes tops. Of course over the next 500-1000 sheets you will pull quite a few sheets tuning it but in under 5 mins its all good :)

Then you get onto a 100 run poster or whatever and it can take half an hour of cleaning transfer sheet marking and perhaps blanket swapping to run a 2 minute job :(....but thats printing..

Hi.

But what if we don't have an ink preset and we print perfecting (8 units). Is it possible to have good copies within 200 sheets?

Thanks.

Larry

Hi.

But what if we don't have an ink preset and we print perfecting (8 units). Is it possible to have good copies within 200 sheets?

Thanks.

Larry

Larry, my calc was actually in regards to how quick i do an average m/r which is without ink preset.

if your on autoplate and your not running work which has to be exacting youll get it up to sellable colour within 200 if your press is in fairly goo cond, if your running 4/4 it will be 200 each side.

but of course their many factors which depend on this so it really down to the type of press you have and the type of work your doing.

Preset

Preset

Larry, my calc was actually in regards to how quick i do an average m/r which is without ink preset.

if your on autoplate and your not running work which has to be exacting youll get it up to sellable colour within 200 if your press is in fairly goo cond, if your running 4/4 it will be 200 each side.

but of course their many factors which depend on this so it really down to the type of press you have and the type of work your doing.

When you are saying that you are without ink preset, how are you setting the fountains? Are you using a console and making profiles based on the coverage on the individual plates? Or are you manually adjusting the individual keys and judging ink film thickness on the fountain or ductor roller? Either way, this sounds like it has more to do with pressman skill than press condition.

When you are saying that you are without ink preset, how are you setting the fountains? Are you using a console and making profiles based on the coverage on the individual plates? Or are you manually adjusting the individual keys and judging ink film thickness on the fountain or ductor roller? Either way, this sounds like it has more to do with pressman skill than press condition.

Sorry, what i meant by ink preset was automated ink key setting from the prepress.
What i mean by press condition on this one is pretty much the condition of the rollers and how well the rollers are set.,

Agreed.. sometimes more sometimes less... When we are running long run (500,000+ W/T), i will start it rolling at idle, having profiled before plating up, make some minor adjustments if required, check square + centred, then pull the trigger...50-100 sheets maybe and a couple of minutes tops. Of course over the next 500-1000 sheets you will pull quite a few sheets tuning it but in under 5 mins its all good :)

Then you get onto a 100 run poster or whatever and it can take half an hour of cleaning transfer sheet marking and perhaps blanket swapping to run a 2 minute job :(....but thats printing..

Getting fit, position and a desired starting point for color 50-100 sheets but the 500-1000 while dialing things in should be considered just the same, make ready sheets. I always keep on hand similar make ready crap stock to dial in the keys before hitting the good stock. It's a real pain the ass when you have a 500 sheet run and color is critical from front to back and you only have the 500 sheets.

Thanks akiyama_king and CD102.

As previously mentioned we print back to back. We don't have (yet) the option to accept ink values from prepress. We have a calibrated LCD for softproof, and visually we decide and manually adjust the ink keys from the press console even before we start running the press. When the press is running we measure the colorbar with a scanning spectro.

At akiyama_king, so, for 4/4 printing that's 200 sheets each side to get sellable copies. What if higher quality is required or customer wants PSO level? Do we need to raise the waste by a bit?

Thanks akiyama_king and CD102.

As previously mentioned we print back to back. We don't have (yet) the option to accept ink values from prepress. We have a calibrated LCD for softproof, and visually we decide and manually adjust the ink keys from the press console even before we start running the press. When the press is running we measure the colorbar with a scanning spectro.

At akiyama_king, so, for 4/4 printing that's 200 sheets each side to get sellable copies. What if higher quality is required or customer wants PSO level? Do we need to raise the waste by a bit?

If a high quality is needed from first copy i'd say its closer to 500 each side.

make ready.

make ready.

we run 10 micon screen, with profiles sent to press, which is a 6 komori lithrone. It takes me 10 sheets just to check job for usual mistakes or smash blanket ect, for a 4 color job first side.Then another 20/30 for starting up again. so i will say 50 sheets total. with in reason ofcourse. .

we print 4 colors on GTO52 single head, usually less than 75 sheets is required for the whole process

range 75 - 100 sheets for 1000 sheets job 4 color on GTO52 single head "yes we run sheets 4 times"all process take around 3 hours from putting first plate till washing last colour off the machine

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back