How much to charge for Duplo 646 work

SoggyWinter

A recent addition to my shop is a Duplo 646 slitter cutter creaser. We have been billing it out based on hourly time for job setup and machine tending, but I'm thinking about charging per sheet processed through it. How do others bill their slitter cutter creaser utilization? thanks.

The beauty of the Duplo in my experience is the ease of setup / quick change setups and ability to walk away from it / multi task, not going to win any awards on pure output speed but it’s not like you have to 100% babysit it like you might a folder/etc. To me per sheet processed makes the most sense, like a copier.

We kept the same pricing for cutting, creasing, and/or perfing as we did before we had a slitter cutter creaser (SCC). We have the MBM AeroCut Prime which is similar to your 646.

The customer doesn't know or care if we cut it on our guillotine or the SCC, so we charge the same either way (which is priced per 1,000 sheets, effectively breaking down to a per sheet price). Same for perfing or creasing...depending on the job, we may perf on our folder, numbering machine, or SCC. But the price is the same regardless.

From my experience customers have difficulty relating to time, since they don't know if you are a master of efficiency or a slacker. Set-up plus per sheet is the way to go. It's simple and finite.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back