How to Convert Corel X3 docs to InDesign?

mazza

Does anyone know of any plugins or appliations, that would enable you to be able to convert documents created in Corel X3 to Adobe InDesign???
Much the same way that Cacidi Batch enables you to convert Quark docs to InDesign.
cheers
mark

Last edited:
Why not export an EPS or PDF from CorelDraw, open in Illy and copy and paste into Indy? Not sure never went from CorelDraw to InDesign, but I do go from Illustrator to CorelDraw all the time.

Yeah, not quite what we're trying to achieve.
We don't just want a single EPS or PDF, we want to be able to retain the individual components of the document as well. Much like packaging a job.

Yeah, not quite what we're trying to achieve.
We don't just want a single EPS or PDF, we want to be able to retain the individual components of the document as well. Much like packaging a job.

That's why he said to open the PDF or EPS in Illustrator and then copy and paste in InDesign. You will retain the individual components that way. There is always risk in any type of conversion though so check carefully.

Yeah, not going to happen. You may be able to get some objects as individual objects, but probably not many of them. Remember, Illustrator is not a PostScript editor. The only general PostScript editor that I remember was Enfocus Tailor. And that's a very dead product... You'd have to have Corel make a PDF and use PitStop or PitStop Extreme/Neo. Maybe OneVision Asura. Regardless, you're not going to get it to an all InDesign document with all, or most, native InDesign objects.

The whole idea of converting from one format to another outside of Quark to InDesign or InDesign to Quark is pretty much a colossal waste of time except for extracting text segments.

Agreed it's never going to give native InDesign objects but it's the "best", not ideal by far, option available with software he probably already has. The "best" option would be to just re-do it in InDesign from the start.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Doesn't sound like it's going to be much of a go. The other bit of info I omitted, was the fact that it's not just the odd document I wanted to convert, but rather hundreds of documents. We're changing ad makeup systems at one of our sites who are currently using Corel X3, so we were hoping we could somehow convert their existing ads en masse.

At best.... at best you can save them as PostScript files and distill them. The other idea is to export them from Corel as an Illustrator file.

Why would you need to? Just keep what's in CorelDraw there and start new projects in InDesign. Sounds like a lot of work for no real reason.

Your question doesn't really help Craig, but the answer is . . . because we're centralising the work. The stuff that's been done in Corel often gets repeated, but the people that will be working on these repeats (possibly with changes) is a completely different group of people, who are physically in another city already working on the new system and InDesign, so we're trying to get as much of this material into the new system as possible.

i understand your situation ...
i can offer you some help if you are intersted send private msg to me

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back